It depends on what your standards of working dogs are people's differ and depends on the dog as well because if you had a dog from a pup done all training etc etc once it was around a year old took it lamping and it showed no interest and for the rest of the season it showed zero interest you would get rid. If you had a dog that was say 3 r4 and you tryed everything to stop it but would run round the field for ten minutes would you keep it? I wouldn't . And as for deal breakers a dog must jump,sit,stay, be stock broken and run the beam am not to fussed about the retrieving as I run a bull x but the rest is standard. Edited to add if jacks

Edited by johnpee
  • Like 1

Some dogs can be late developers ,maturity comes later to some.

Seen one dog at 2 y.o that looked like it didn't want the work only to become a decent dog a season or 2 later .

It's just the waiting that is the hard bit especially if they fail afterwards.

• Like 1

It depends on what your standards of working dogs are people's differ and depends on the dog as well because if you had a dog from a pup done all training etc etc once it was around a year old took it lamping and it showed no interest and for the rest of the season it showed zero interest you would get rid. If you had a dog that was say 3 r4 and you tryed everything to stop it but would run round the field for ten minutes would you keep it? I wouldn't . And as for deal breakers a dog must jump,sit,stay, be stock broken and run the beam am not to fussed about the retrieving as I run a bull x but the rest is standard. Edited to add if jacks

I would say that if you had a dog that was, in your words, "say 3 r4 and you tryed everything to stop it but would run round the field for ten minutes", I would put that down to an issue with the handler rather than the dog.

• Like 2

I would say that if you had a dog that was, in your words, "say 3 r4 and you tryed everything to stop it but would run round the field for ten minutes", I would put that down to an issue with the handler rather than the dog.
maybe it would be mate Ive never had this problem myself but see it happen now and then. I know a lad arm dogs 4th season just gone his dog does it runs round hunting up trying to find sumthing if it misses its original chase lad says and I quote ( he's only looking for something to bring me back to please me ) he's happy it doing it but I wouldn't be

Bad training at the 4th season he should reliably come back after a slip

it should be doing that in its first season let alone its 4th.
Of course 4th season dog should be at its prime,as good as it gets

Mine is 2 this month and hunting wise can't fault him and couldn't wish for better training wise his well on the way but still lots too do and I enjoy training him now I seem to have got a bit obsessed about it