The sa blood been on these shores a lot longer than most realise atb bunnys

#32 shaaark

shaaark

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:09 am

I agree with that. I don't really know, and haven't really looked into it, but I'd say that the first saluki type dogs could easily have come to britain with the returning crusaders, along with arab horses, close to a thousand years ago.  And the reason that salukis were given more exposure to the public was the fact that florence amhurst, and other british dignitaries etc, were upper class egyptologists that were held in high regard, and better able to give what many people think of as the most beautiful dog in the world, a more popular platform, than less affluent commoners.

Like I said, I don't really know, but it makes sense to me

Edited by shaaark, 16 March 2016 - 10:23 am.

#33 Hannibal

Hannibal

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:08 pm

Great picture mate. I live 10 mins from banstead downs and walk there often with the dogs. I'll imagine that dog running about next time I'm up there
  • reddog70 and peterhunter86 like this

#34 two crows

two crows

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:04 am

I think your right shaaark iv,e thought that for a long time about crusaders they would not of been able to resist it, but England a thousand years ago would be no place for saluki's, all forest and the fens were fens back then. back in the 1960's gypsies that still lived in horse drawn wagons still looked just like that. lovely old photo'e.

#35 Hamish.J.Cronan

Hamish.J.Cronan

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:34 pm

Lovely photo - thanks for posting!

#36 Haiddheliwr

Haiddheliwr

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:01 pm

Excellent pic fair play!

#37 jukel123

jukel123

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:56 pm

That photo got 48 likes up to now. Is this a record for THL? Wonder why we all like it so much?

Edited by jukel123, 24 March 2016 - 06:56 pm.

#38 riohog

riohog

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:09 pm

It is thought that the breed was introduced into Europe around the 12th century and in 1840 finally made it to England's shores. The first successful modern breeding line of Salukis in the UK began in 1895 with one Florence Amherst, having seen Salukis on a Nile tour in that year, imported a breeding pair from the Al Salihah area of Lower Egypt. However, the popularity of the Saluki did not take hold until the early 1920s, when officers returning from the war in the Middle East and the Arab Revolt brought their pet Salukis home with them

• ginger beard likes this

#39 Haiddheliwr

Haiddheliwr

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:41 pm

I think that there is a part in all of us that would have loved the country life of these unique people and all we have now is photographs of a bygone era to romanticise over
  • jukel123 and Saluki246 like this

#40 jukel123

jukel123

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:49 pm

Wonder if they nicked it? 

Not PC I know. It's a joke!

I'll get my coat. :icon_redface:

#41 Haiddheliwr

Haiddheliwr

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:59 pm

Shame on you jukel lol

#42 Haiddheliwr

Haiddheliwr

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:01 pm

Good write up riohog very informative fair play

#43 marshman

marshman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:11 pm

The thing is we will never know bought stolen traded for or won as a bet , but there he is !!
Most assume it was only the wealthy that had these dogs but a lot of old soldiers returning home would've bought these dogs home . My own grandfather a traveller served in India and fought in France inWW1 . who to say an ordinary soldier might've brung one home long before most working class or rough and ready traveller had even seen one . The reason I think people like the pic is this is Photographic proof of a saluki looking well in front when taking someone's photo was a real occasion so for the dog to be in centre gives you some idea of how much this dog was thought of .
  • jukel123, Saluki246 and C.green like this

#44 jukel123

jukel123

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:33 pm

I would love to have seen 1) the dog run 2) The reaction of those seeing him run-presuming he was a good un and knew how to pace himself and box the hare in. If he was a good un, he must have been a revelation and worth a lot to the owner if only in prestige value.

Edited by jukel123, 24 March 2016 - 08:35 pm.

#45 marshman

marshman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:43 pm

I would love to have seen 1) the dog run 2) The reaction of those seeing him run-presuming he was a good un and knew how to pace himself and box the hare in. If he was a good un, he must have been a revelation and worth a lot to the owner if only in prestige value.

prestige enough to have a photograph with the family . I think it's a fair bet to say he could do he's job. as him and the family look well , when that pic was taken when rationing was on and there was very little meat to be had .
  • jukel123 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users