Old Traveller Picture First Saluki Type

I agree with that. I don't really know, and haven't really looked into it, but I'd say that the first saluki type dogs could easily have come to britain with the returning crusaders, along with arab horses, close to a thousand years ago. And the reason that salukis were given more exposure to the public was the fact that florence amhurst, and other british dignitaries etc, were upper class egyptologists that were held in high regard, and better able to give what many people think of as the most beautiful dog in the world, a more popular platform, than less affluent commoners.

Like I said, I don't really know, but it makes sense to me

Edited by shaaark

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll give it another try

I always look at these pics and think about how clean and fresh the land must've been back then . I mean not many cars only a fraction of the population of today and the fields and rivers must've been

Pembroke South Wales 1956

Posted Images

I think your right shaaark iv,e thought that for a long time about crusaders they would not of been able to resist it, but England a thousand years ago would be no place for saluki's, all forest and the fens were fens back then. back in the 1960's gypsies that still lived in horse drawn wagons still looked just like that. lovely old photo'e.

It is thought that the breed was introduced into Europe around the 12th century and in 1840 finally made it to England's shores. The first successful modern breeding line of Salukis in the UK began in 1895 with one Florence Amherst, having seen Salukis on a Nile tour in that year, imported a breeding pair from the Al Salihah area of Lower Egypt. However, the popularity of the Saluki did not take hold until the early 1920s, when officers returning from the war in the Middle East and the Arab Revolt brought their pet Salukis home with them

• Like 1

The thing is we will never know bought stolen traded for or won as a bet , but there he is !!

Most assume it was only the wealthy that had these dogs but a lot of old soldiers returning home would've bought these dogs home . My own grandfather a traveller served in India and fought in France inWW1 . who to say an ordinary soldier might've brung one home long before most working class or rough and ready traveller had even seen one . The reason I think people like the pic is this is Photographic proof of a saluki looking well in front when taking someone's photo was a real occasion so for the dog to be in centre gives you some idea of how much this dog was thought of .

• Like 3

I would love to have seen 1) the dog run 2) The reaction of those seeing him run-presuming he was a good un and knew how to pace himself and box the hare in. If he was a good un, he must have been a revelation and worth a lot to the owner if only in prestige value.

Edited by jukel123

I would love to have seen 1) the dog run 2) The reaction of those seeing him run-presuming he was a good un and knew how to pace himself and box the hare in. If he was a good un, he must have been a revelation and worth a lot to the owner if only in prestige value.

prestige enough to have a photograph with the family . I think it's a fair bet to say he could do he's job. as him and the family look well , when that pic was taken when rationing was on and there was very little meat to be had .
  • Like 1

What's would say firstly the pic brill a piece of history already been said one can read and see the story of there life back then a pic of this to me can give me hrs of reminiscing of there hard but great life,was the sal any good of course he was he must of fed those mouths he wudna be there if not capable.. atb bunnys

• Like 1