Old Traveller Picture First Saluki Type

I always look at these pics and think about how clean and fresh the land must've been back then . I mean not many cars only a fraction of the population of today and the fields and rivers must've been heaving with life .

• Like 12

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll give it another try

I always look at these pics and think about how clean and fresh the land must've been back then . I mean not many cars only a fraction of the population of today and the fields and rivers must've been

Pembroke South Wales 1956

Posted Images

Guest Navek

Marshman I can honestly say that your one traveling man ( or of traveling decent ) I could sit down and have a brew with and listen to old story's and look at old pics with...if you got any more pics get em up....atb

Marshman I can honestly say that your one traveling man ( or of traveling decent ) I could sit down and have a brew with and listen to old story's and look at old pics with...if you got any more pics get em up....atb

thank you Navek ! Always got time for a days sport a brew and a chat mate ?
  • Like 4

I remember my mate telling me when he was a kid.whilst walking to his grans house about 8 houses away he could smell beef his gran was cooking in the rayburn.

And 20yrs later he said you had to open the back door to smell the beef.

How times change....

I'd go as far as to say that photo is a serious historic record.

Where would the family aquire such a dog as they must have been very rare on these shores, and i would have thought mainly the rich would own such an 'exotic'.

I wonder if that old Romany blood knew instinctivley the abilitys of desert dogs and how prized owning one was back then.

Well, thats me romancing about the photo but the family probably were gifted it as a poor specimen of show stock or simply found it wandering aimless after hanging behind a hare over 5 fields! lol ;)

I'll give it another try

My old mum was born in 1917 and she told me that the Petrulengoo family came across from europe and had dogs with saluki blood in them in the second world war years
  • Like 2

My father told me of certain travelling family's that had Salukis before he'd ever known anyone else to have them . One family from the South Downs and Salisbury plain . I won't mention any family names but apparently the first two he seen came from Southampton docks as one travellers son was a merchant seaman in ww2 and brought them back . How true this is I don't know but that's how my father got told they come by them .

• Like 3

Great picky Marshman, there were plenty of rabbits everywhere back then when that was taken and getting animals into the country was a lot easier with there being no rabies about, most dogs like saluki's etc came back with officers serving king and country abroad,the officers had a lot of spare time and it was not unusual to have some sport coursing,etc, in their spare time,in those days we had been ruling the world as a commonwealth with men serving right across the middle east,asia,etc, so favourites would of been brought back as a matter of course. I was a kid in the 60's and the countryside was awash with stuff to hunt not like today so imagine what it would of been like around the turn of the century, I grew up with tales of my grandad and father catching rabbits and birds with everyone knowing someone that could get you what you needed for the cost of a few pints, WM

• Like 1