Doberman V Mountain Lion.

Go to solution Solved by General lee,

The cougars here (alberta, canada) grow over 200lb and their main prey is whitetail deer, which often weigh more than them. They have no issues dragging adult deer high up trees.It would take a very special dog to stand even a slim chance against a healthy adult cougar / puma / mountain lion IMHO.

Canuck cougars are huge.Theres loads of news stories in the states every year about mountain lions predating on domestic dogs,not just small yappy terriers either,tales of them killing horses,humans,theres a pic i saw online a while back of a sorry looking pitbull that had encountered one,it wouldnt be wise to undersell their prowess.
  • Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must be the only person seeing that then. Cat overpowered it easy, chain or no chain. And to think some argue about pitbulls could take even bigger cats.....nonsense..?

" could take " would be a silly presumption to make and im not about to get into a silly win/lose scenario.........but it would be common sense to assume that in a fight with a wild animal a purpose b

You must have watched a different video to me ... That cat had that dog by the throat in seconds and was choking it out ... When the cat let go the dog was staggering all over the place and didn't kno

I was always under the impression that the reason a dog like a pit bull wouldnt survive in the wild was because of its instinct for combat and refusal to back down......nature being what it is i would of thought that any big cat that got into a tussle with something that fought back with any kind of intensity would use its survival skills and get the f**k out of there rather than stand and slug it out.....if not why dont they take on elephants or rhino,s etc

Just the same as if you were a cannibal. Would you pick someone treble your size or would you pick a weak opponent??

Exactly......we,ve all seen these clips where a bigger stronger animal will back away from a wolverine or such like........its simply a case of " f**k it i dont need this i,ll go find an easier one " survival instinct makes wild animals what they are.
We have also heard the term "I wouldn't back it into a corner".

Most dogs don't want to fight, unless trained to do so. I suppose what I'm saying is if a cat that size needed to it could handle any dog on the planet. With ease.

Bulldogs have fairly recently been used to kill bears and bulls,if you look back to the days of the coliseum they (maybe not the same breed,but still dogs either way) were matched against and killed sorts of exotic animals.

It might not be 50/50,but I reckon the right kind of dog has a good chance of doing more than enough to make sure the mountain lion dies from the injuries,or partly from those injuries in the future.

Obviously not a labrador,a fox or possibly a large rat would have your average lab running scared.

I mean a real dog :laugh:

Lucky I don't keep average ones...

Keep trying mate,you'll get there one day.

I'll PM you the number of decent breeder if you want.

I was always under the impression that the reason a dog like a pit bull wouldnt survive in the wild was because of its instinct for combat and refusal to back down......nature being what it is i would of thought that any big cat that got into a tussle with something that fought back with any kind of intensity would use its survival skills and get the f**k out of there rather than stand and slug it out.....if not why dont they take on elephants or rhino,s etc

Just the same as if you were a cannibal. Would you pick someone treble your size or would you pick a weak opponent??

Exactly......we,ve all seen these clips where a bigger stronger animal will back away from a wolverine or such like........its simply a case of " f**k it i dont need this i,ll go find an easier one " survival instinct makes wild animals what they are.

Most dogs don't want to fight, unless trained to do so. I suppose what I'm saying is if a cat that size needed to it could handle any dog on the planet. With ease.

Bulldogs have fairly recently been used to kill bears and bulls,if you look back to the days of the coliseum they (maybe not the same breed,but still dogs either way) were matched against and killed sorts of exotic animals.

It might not be 50/50,but I reckon the right kind of dog has a good chance of doing more than enough to make sure the mountain lion dies from the injuries,or partly from those injuries in the future.

Obviously not a labrador,a fox or possibly a large rat would have your average lab running scared.

he only likes the chocolate ones

i think to stand any chance you would need need a large breed like a kangal, CO, CAO or a tibetan mastiff you would need a dog with thick fur to help protect it against the pumas clothes.

I don't think Pumas wear clothes ......

• Like 1

The day I buy a lab from a 'breeder' will be the day hell freezes over.

• Like 1

No dog on earth would kill a tiger ,lion and prob jaguar. A good big dog would stand a chance against the rest imo and a couple or three big dogs would have a very good chance. And no way are lions and tigers scared of a ruck they regular fight to the death tigers especially.all imo of course. I think a pack of dogs are always greater than the sum of their parts so to speak as they are pack animals.

Gr ch SNAPS killed a mountain lion that came into its chain space and attacked him, owner came out in the morning and the lion was in bits....so was Snaps but he survived.

• Like 1

Due to the content of the thread I read up on the puma/cougar. In North America they pretty much stay away from wolves unless they come across lone cubs and or small/ill female as they usually come off second best if tangling with a fully grown one. If wolves come across a puma and it's catch they'll usually take it off it and sometimes kill the cat.

So theoretically if there is a solitary dog that can take out a solitary fully grown timber/grey wolf it should be able to take the cat.

No dog on earth would kill a tiger ,lion and prob jaguar. A good big dog would stand a chance against the rest imo and a couple or three big dogs would have a very good chance. And no way are lions and tigers scared of a ruck they regular fight to the death tigers especially.all imo of course. I think a pack of dogs are always greater than the sum of their parts so to speak as they are pack animals.

Gr ch SNAPS killed a mountain lion that came into its chain space and attacked him, owner came out in the morning and the lion was in bits....so was Snaps but he survived.

Ive heard plenty of stories about gamedogs killing cougars,bobcats,lynx etc......these cats would have a field day on some of the big yards with 60 and 70 dogs out in the wilderness if it really was that easy.......a big cat with a slipping patella or a broken foot is virtually doomed to death they havent evolved into the hunting machines they are by being game and taking on any adversary........the best trait of a pit bull ( gameness ) would be the most disastrous trait possible for a big cat to have hence why most things like pumas/cougars/lynx would be away on their toes as soon as they felt serious retaliation.

• Like 1

Ive heard plenty of stories about gamedogs killing cougars,bobcats,lynx etc......these cats would have a field day on some of the big yards with 60 and 70 dogs out in the wilderness if it really was that easy.......a big cat with a slipping patella or a broken foot is virtually doomed to death they havent evolved into the hunting machines they are by being game and taking on any adversary........the best trait of a pit bull ( gameness ) would be the most disastrous trait possible for a big cat to have hence why most things like pumas/cougars/lynx would be away on their toes as soon as they felt serious retaliation.

:thumbs: