Shotgun Licence

Jok, I don't think anyone is debating that the law does not specify that a cabinet is a legal requirement.

It is the practicalities of not having one or a similar level of security that will satisfy the licensing manager that you can safely store your guns.

Whether you're deliberately trying to be the Devil's advocate Jok, I don't know but the police do not have to grant the certificate if the security is not satisfactory, in fact, they are duty bound not to grant it on public safety grounds.

If it is of an acceptable standard, then you are correct in that it must be granted, however that standard is the subjective part.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OP, if you are considering applying for a sgc, take a tip, and buy a fuc*ing cabinet, irrespective of the little pedantic and grey areas of the law, get a cabinet, you are happy, the police are happy,

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a potential SGC owner turned round to the FEO at the home visit and the conversation went along the lines........   "Actually. Thinking out loud. Try getting th

He lives in Liverpool, Merseyside apparently, I think that may be a problem!  

Strange. There is no legal requirement for a cabinet.

This should answer all your questions: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117636/firearms-security-handbook.pdf

...and the guidance itself, makes it quite clear that individual circumstances should dictate the level of security required:

1.5 This guidance should be applied with full regard to the individual circumstances and the type and location of the premises subject to any recommendations

1.7 There are many factors that require consideration, which may include the following:

a) A risk assessment based on the levels of property crime in the area. These may be subject to sudden temporary changes and it is helpful to look at the longer-term trends of property crime in an area, which are the more important factors;
b.)The remoteness or otherwise of the premises, and the potential response to calls for assistance, either by police or neighbours;
c) The manner in which the property is overlooked and/or illuminated. These are significant factors in deterring burglars;
d) The extent to which the property is occupied or left unoccupied;
e) The location of storage points within the property and where appropriate the distribution of firearms within each secure point;
f) The attractiveness of the type of firearms to criminals. For example, modern multi-shot handguns may be more attractive to criminals than most other types of gun;
g) The number of firearms held; and
h) Whether it is generally known that firearms are stored on the premises.
Edited by Alsone

Actually. Thinking out loud. Try getting the SGC without having a cabinet is a no brainer. They can't refuse. That's the law.

Jok, I don't think anyone is debating that the law does not specify that a cabinet is a legal requirement.

It is the practicalities of not having one or a similar level of security that will satisfy the licensing manager that you can safely store your guns.

Whether you're deliberately trying to be the Devil's advocate Jok, I don't know but the police do not have to grant the certificate if the security is not satisfactory, in fact, they are duty bound not to grant it on public safety grounds.

If it is of an acceptable standard, then you are correct in that it must be granted, however that standard is the subjective part.

Jok

SS and others have it as above.

You are however correct in that there is no specific requirement for a cabinet, but there is a requirement for suitable storage, sometimes ground anchors or strong rooms etc may be suitable, but in the majority of cases a cabinet will fit the bill.

As SS has said they most certainly can refuse you if you don't have suitable storage.

Cheers

• Like 1

We all know the whys and wherefores, but why try to make the process even harder for the sake of a cabinet and a few bolts?

:thumbs:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when a potential SGC owner turned round to the FEO at the home visit and the conversation went along the lines........

"Actually. Thinking out loud. Try getting the SGC without having a cabinet is a no brainer. They can't refuse. That's the law."

:laugh: :thumbs:

• Like 2

We all know the whys and wherefores, but why try to make the process even harder for the sake of a cabinet and a few bolts?

Exactly. All you risk is refusal.

Costs of refusal, and if you appeal, losing a Crown Court case or conceding the point in Court and being granted on condition of fitting a cabinet, potentially up to £10K in police costs. Costs of a cheap cabinet, £80 new or £30 second hand. Is it really worth it?

Edited by Alsone

OP, if you are considering applying for a sgc, take a tip, and buy a fuc*ing cabinet, irrespective of the little pedantic and grey areas of the law, get a cabinet, you are happy, the police are happy, you have a certificate, and your gun/guns are safe, £50 secondhand, total no brainer, end of :yes:

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously you are all correct. I cannot imagine not having a secure cabinet. All I was saying was stating the law. How can a person upholding the law deny the law ? That is unadmissable. It is wrong. The person, mainly civilian, visiting our homes to give judgement on whether or not we should have a certificate is based on the law. They may well have their own views but they don't count. They are there to uphold the law.