Birds "please Add Yours"

13 minutes ago, CRAZYHORSE said:

personally I will take lots of shots then keep the best ones, to get the best wildlife shots you need to get in close, the closer the better..so good fieldcraft is as important as the type of camera you use.

thanks bud......that's one thing i do,try to do...but it's the disappointment i get, that it came out blurred that gets to me.....never to get that same shot again.....

.....i took a pic of a bear the other day, which had just got out of the river, it was shaking it's self off of the water, i took some pics but every one was blurred because it was moving and birds in flight does the same thing. do i need a better camera for these types of pics i'm after or is my camera suitable with me playing around with the settings...(canon powershot 400is, we also have a canon powershot s2 is)   

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great photos already.   These are some of my favorites I have taken                 Grey Wagtail   Kestrel

Had a bit of luck today. SD.

Short eared owl       Great spotted woodpecker     Nuthatch    

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, CRAZYHORSE said:

personally I will take lots of shots then keep the best ones, to get the best wildlife shots you need to get in close, the closer the better..so good fieldcraft is as important as the type of camera you use.

Totally agree with the above, getting close and knowing your subject and its behaviour/patterns will go such a long way, short bursts of say 10-15 shots then maybe recompose should stand you in good stead...

This LEO had been studied for a couple weeks, learned and observed where and when it hunted and its habits which included landing on this perch every evening of only for a matter of seconds/minutes....

knowedge, field craft and a hefty bit of luck paid a huge part, also the use of a pop up dome hide was essential for capturing this image 

33940972054_9551df4351_o.jpg

• Like 8
8 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Totally agree with the above, getting close and knowing your subject and its behaviour/patterns will go such a long way, short bursts of say 10-15 shots then maybe recompose should stand you in good stead...

This LEO had been studied for a couple weeks, learned and observed where and when it hunted and its habits which included landing on this perch every evening of only for a matter of seconds/minutes....

knowedge, field craft and a hefty bit of luck paid a huge part, also the use of a pop up dome hide was essential for capturing this image 

33940972054_9551df4351_o.jpg

good work zandy 

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

thanks bud......that's one thing i do,try to do...but it's the disappointment i get, that it came out blurred that gets to me.....never to get that same shot again.....

.....i took a pic of a bear the other day, which had just got out of the river, it was shaking it's self off of the water, i took some pics but every one was blurred because it was moving and birds in flight does the same thing. do i need a better camera for these types of pics i'm after or is my camera suitable with me playing around with the settings...(canon powershot 400is, we also have a canon powershot s2 is)   

Too slow of a shutter speed is the problem....

not the camera as it is more then fast enough at 1/2000th sec shutter speed, more the setting you're using and light has a huge factor, dull day will equal slower shutter and brighter day will be faster...

only real way to conquer is using wider aperture (F4 or round about) if camera has capability... I'm not knowledgeable about compact cameras but YouTube can be a great source of info... 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Too slow of a shutter speed is the problem....

not the camera as it is more then fast enough at 1/2000th sec shutter speed, more the setting you're using and light has a huge factor, dull day will equal slower shutter and brighter day will be faster...

only real way to conquer is using wider aperture (F4 or round about) if camera has capability... I'm not knowledgeable about compact cameras but YouTube can be a great source of info... 

thanks bud.....i will have a look on youtube to see if there is anything on there for my camera...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tillylamp said:

I would just like to say, if your taking photo's of bears ignore the getting closer advice.....lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1