Birds "please Add Yours"

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great photos already.   These are some of my favorites I have taken                 Grey Wagtail   Kestrel

Had a bit of luck today. SD.

Short eared owl       Great spotted woodpecker     Nuthatch    

Posted Images

After looking at all the great pics on this topic i decided to use the camera i got last year for a present the pics arnt the best i was clueless with the camera i missed some great shots instead of taking the picture i kept pressing the off button

post-94083-0-11517300-1457027054_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-23620000-1457027084_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-31792800-1457027114_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-70525900-1457027261_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-48065800-1457027361_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-87552100-1457027384_thumb.jpg

post-94083-0-28214000-1457028186_thumb.jpg

Edited by peterhunter86
  • Like 6

After looking at all the great pics on this topic i decided to use the camera i got last year for a present the pics arnt the best i was clueless with the camera i missed some great shots instead of taking the picture i kept pressing the off button

Fuzzy enough for me :laugh:

Paulus their was a goldcrest in the brambles that was so close i could of picked it out the bush i was following it and it was like wasnt even there and i still couldnt get a decent pic

a bit of camera shake/slow shutter speed and high noise

Sorry for being a berk but the very first picture on this thread what is the bird second from the top called ?

Brilliant pictures by the way.

2nd pic is a chaffinch cock Gnasher :victory: ..

Thankyou mate.

What a blindin thread this is you just dont realise the different array of birds that are around,so interesting.

I just wish you,s would write what birds they are so that divs like me wouldnt have to keep saying " errr whats that one called mate "

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 1

Zandy i see a lot of those birds are rung,i take it there at a wildlife,nature reserve type place seeing as the ringer's busy.Brilliant pics and well done to everyone on their efforts :toast: ...

Hi mate,

I don't photograph captive animals/birds etc

I go to a good few bird/wildlife hides and nature reserves to photograph the birds, yes a lot are ringed but there's still plenty that aren't... Often see roe deer, fox and the odd sparrow hawk etc...

The barn owl has been there for a few years and is of a nesting pair, they've been in the same barn just 200m off the beach and always put on a fabulous show of quartering/hunting in March/April time...

I was photographing 5 short eared owls 10 mins up the coast from my house over Nov/Dec time but due to appalling weather/heavy rain 4 of them did not survive and were found very skinny and thought to have died from exhaustion/starvation :(

I've just recently found a site that I've walked the whippets there for the past 2 years and just found there's a little owl that lives in one of the old pig buildings with a tree growing in it, been there for years and I didn't even know til a few weeks ago ;)

It's all really about keeping an eye out, talking to people and have lots and lots of patience, I've waited 6-7 hours for the likes of an owl and had no show but it's the excitement of what else you might see that makes it so good and keeps me going places :)

• Like 4

Can I just say,

Anyone thinking of a Tamron or Sigma 150-500 or 150-600 lens, DONT BOTHER... Save your money and get a 300mm or 500mm prime lens...

Piss all over zoom lenses ;)

Please pardon my ignorance, what are the advantages of a prime lens over a telephoto?

TC

Prime lenses have better quality glass, tend to be a lot sharper, a lot faster focusing and of a lower F number allowing more light into camera enabling faster shutter speeds in lower light...

Zoom lenses adjust the F number throughout the zoom, so you could be at f5.6 at 150mm and then step down to f6.3 at 300mm which means that you'll often have to change ISO/shutter speed...

The zoom lens is a "jack of all trades" but the prime is the "master"...

The only zoom I would consider for wildlife is a Canon 100-400 mkii as its an amazingly sharp lens but does come with a nice price tag too...

The Canon 400 f5.6 is one to go for that's reasonably priced and excellent for wildlife, it doesn't have image stabilisation but if shooting birds and wildlife then a fast shutter speed is generally required which means the IS isn't really an issue :)

Hope this makes sense and is only my opinion...

• Like 1

Peterhunter86; Keep at it. That last shot of the dove is a cracker.

If I can make a suggestion? Just remember that most modern autofocus cameras will set focus on the closest object within the focus zone. So any birds sat in cover will often be out of focus because the camera will set the focus on the twigs in front of the bird. Look through your camera functions and set spot focus. Then aim the central spot at an area of the bird clear of obscuring twigs and gently press the button to take the shot.

• Like 2

Peterhunter86; Keep at it. That last shot of the dove is a cracker.

If I can make a suggestion? Just remember that most modern autofocus cameras will set focus on the closest object within the focus zone. So any birds sat in cover will often be out of focus because the camera will set the focus on the twigs in front of the bird. Look through your camera functions and set spot focus. Then aim the central spot at an area of the bird clear of obscuring twigs and gently press the button to take the shot.

Cheers pal thanks for the advice.the dove was on my fence i took that throuh the window ive had to crop it like fook i got better ones of it but even after croping its saying there to big

Can I just say,

Anyone thinking of a Tamron or Sigma 150-500 or 150-600 lens, DONT BOTHER... Save your money and get a 300mm or 500mm prime lens...

Piss all over zoom lenses ;)

Please pardon my ignorance, what are the advantages of a prime lens over a telephoto?

TC

Prime lenses have better quality glass, tend to be a lot sharper, a lot faster focusing and of a lower F number allowing more light into camera enabling faster shutter speeds in lower light...

Zoom lenses adjust the F number throughout the zoom, so you could be at f5.6 at 150mm and then step down to f6.3 at 300mm which means that you'll often have to change ISO/shutter speed...

The zoom lens is a "jack of all trades" but the prime is the "master"...

The only zoom I would consider for wildlife is a Canon 100-400 mkii as its an amazingly sharp lens but does come with a nice price tag too...

The Canon 400 f5.6 is one to go for that's reasonably priced and excellent for wildlife, it doesn't have image stabilisation but if shooting birds and wildlife then a fast shutter speed is generally required which means the IS isn't really an issue :)

Hope this makes sense and is only my opinion...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EF-400mm-F-5-6-L-EF-USM-lens-/172025210616?hash=item280d8066f8:g:5xEAAOSwnipWYDmg :icon_eek:

TC