In Short. The Breeding Cycle Of Sparrow Hawks.

Many members will already be aware that through certain previous posts about my love for the (Sparrow hawk). I don't want to be seen to be going over old ground once again. However, with more new members continuing to grow, I thought it a good idea to share some of my interests with this particular bird. I have in particular favoured the (Shortwings), Accipiters over the Falconiformes. Although I do love the falcons and any other raptor for that matter. Some other closely related birds to the Spars are the larger cousin the (Goshawk) and other Accipiters the Shikra and the Sharpe Shinned Hawk. However, I haven't had much experience with both the Sharpe Shinned ad the Shikra's.

I did fly both Muskets and females with I must say great success. But I think that subject would be more appropriately entered into the falconry forum.

For many years I have spent a considerable amount of time,pleasure and a deep love in trying to gather much fact-based material on this wonderful bird. My experiences and fond memories have fortunately driven myself to certain locations of my childhood days.

The woodlands in which have been my search for more knowledge of these birds have consisted mainly of conifer plantations planted by the forest commission; but certain other tree species can be found. Much sliver birch, sitka spruce and scots pine include into the array of habitat found in such areas. There are also I think some lodgepole pine and in other areas wonderful beech and oak in which are old remnants of the old sherwood forest.

Many countless hours have been spent especially at the nesting sites of certain Sparrowhawk breeding grounds.

More systematic records should have been kept for future reference and somewhat shamefully I admit my mistakes. I did find that Sparrowhawks will not nest in all kinds of woodland, but are selective in their choice.I found it wasn't entirely down to tree species or the size of wood, but more so of the internal structure that exists. Ideally the nesting site should offer plenty of cover, yet at the same time be open enough to permit birds easy flight between the trunks of trees and branches. I also found that some woodland are too thick or are too large. "The Goshawk needs more open woodland and I have found their nests also. The young woods in a stage before thinning are in the too thick category. The age factor, plus management of woodland, are a deciding factor which will influence the period over which Sparrowhawks remain attracted to such woodland. Within this time period of suitability, the birds may nest year after year if not troubled or disturbed. I have found nests the following year in close proximity to previous nests.Nests have been found also in old Squirrel dreys and even I have located birds that have rebuilt a new nest on a former old structure."Sometimes there are no hard and fast rules in this game"! When nature is expected to take a certain repeated path, it totally surprises one in its different approach. I have been going back to certain recorded nest sites for over 30 years, although at a stage of 40-50 years the trees are clear-felled by the forestry commission. However, the woods have to be correctly managed over a 30 year period but to certain factors like too much thickness or cover.

I found also that Sparrowhawks would nest only once during a ten year period, and in others they nested more than than once. Tree spacing was also a convenient measure of acceptability, but other features varied in parallel. Also regarding tree spacing I have found that the further apart the trees the older they are.

They also prefer conifer plantations to the mixed woodlands.Usually you find only one pair in a small wood but I have found 2 pairs in larger woodlands. One nest I located was in a single hawthorne tree, not particularly high to climb if one wanted to, but very difficult to negotiate.

Once at a nest side with friends who studied Sparrowhawks, I took them to a nest in a large conifer plantation and I proceeded to climb to the nest which was approx 40 feet from the ground. I had climbed the nest on earlier occasions and I knew from past experiences she would let myself touch her when trying to examine the clutch of eggs. A wonderful memory in one's life! To be continued: Lutra.....