How Many Packs

DIDO.1

Hello all readers,

Not wishing to boast but I have lost count of how many packs I have followed over the years, but I will mention just a few that I have followed more than others.

Some of my favourite packs have been in the shires.

I followed the Vale of Belvoir for years with my brother and a great farming friend from Tideswell in Derbyshire, Frank Noble. Then with Frank being a farmer in Derbyshire we proceeded to follow the (High Peak Harriers) and did I have some fun with the (Antis)! However, that is another story!

Days spent with our local pack, the 'South Notts" and ourselves doing the terrier work under Phillip Watts who eventually moved to the York and Anisty South if my memory serves myself well. My brother had some great days at the Albrighton with Bert Gripton.

Many other fond memories of years gone by spent with the Cottesmore, Blankney, Holderness,Grove and Ruffed and many , many more which are too numerous to mention.

Some particular packs will always be etched in my memory for certain events that occurred.

One pack in mind was at the South Durham when working under Grahame Wing, working terriers and kennel man. Another good pack was the Vale of Aylesbury followed by Sir Watkin William -Wynn's famous pack of hounds in and around Shropshire. Sir WatkinWilliam -Wynn's name being somewhat synonymous in the Foxhunting world.

Some wonderful times experienced both with terriers and hounds at the Cheshire to whom a great friend Shaun Hutchinson was the whipper in; then we followed him to the ludlow and now he is huntsman to the Suffolk.

Many more chapter's could be wrote, perhaps on another occasion.

Before my departure I would just like to mention some of the foot packs.

Many days being spent with the Blencathra, Ullswater, and with the Lunesdale.

Just forgetting about the great times with the West Norfolk, certain packs in particular with the packs in the South west. Also another memorable pack was the Devon and Somerset Staghounds, some fantastic hunting. There has been some wonderful private packs and a good friend of many years who resides in Barnsley hunts a few Beagles which are great for hunting foxes and he catches more than his fair share of foxes.

The list goes on! But yet for another occasion, so for now good luck to all the genuine guys in the game. Regards, Lutra Lutra....

I had the pleasure of working with PW terrierman for a good while. Best of times. Edited by jessdale
  • Like 1

Lutra, I helped doing the terriers for him for a few seasons, so I was hardly a stranger.....! :whistling: The huntsman before him was John Smith and he was a top bloke! :yes: :yes: IMO a Huntsman has to be friendly and approachable, it is part of his job as the ambassador for the hunt. JMHO.........

Just replying to your message. Just a short question. Was it just a business relationship between Phillip and yourself, i.e. Fox hunting or did a friendship develop?

Many people have mentioned it to myself before regarding is so-called miserable nature. But I never found that to be the case.Some of the old boys involved with hounds came from the old school attitude towards people, and you could never change them. However, I respect people and treat people in way I'd be expected to be treated. When was your involvement with him and was you doing the terrier work at the York and Anisty South under Phillip? I could name many huntsmen who have perhaps the wrong attitude, and there was one particular guy who wasn't known for his manners, but could he catch Foxes and was renowned for his Fox hunting knowledge. He once told myself he had no time for many sorts and thought more of hounds and terriers than people. I explained to him that everyone isn't a bad apple, he replied that he just didn't trust anyone, only his canine friends. "I think we have all met the idiots and buffoons of this world, but if you search you will find as the saying goes.I do agree it is a better huntsman if somewhat friendly in his approach towards people, especially into todays climate of Antis and the uneducated.

Lutra, I helped doing the terriers for him for a few seasons, so I was hardly a stranger.....! :whistling: The huntsman before him was John Smith and he was a top bloke! :yes: :yes: IMO a Huntsman has to be friendly and approachable, it is part of his job as the ambassador for the hunt. JMHO.........

Just replying to your message. Just a short question. Was it just a business relationship between Phillip and yourself, i.e. Fox hunting or did a friendship develop?

Many people have mentioned it to myself before regarding is so-called miserable nature. But I never found that to be the case.Some of the old boys involved with hounds came from the old school attitude towards people, and you could never change them. However, I respect people and treat people in way I'd be expected to be treated. When was your involvement with him and was you doing the terrier work at the York and Anisty South under Phillip? I could name many huntsmen who have perhaps the wrong attitude, and there was one particular guy who wasn't known for his manners, but could he catch Foxes and was renowned for his Fox hunting knowledge. He once told myself he had no time for many sorts and thought more of hounds and terriers than people. I explained to him that everyone isn't a bad apple, he replied that he just didn't trust anyone, only his canine friends. "I think we have all met the idiots and buffoons of this world, but if you search you will find as the saying goes.I do agree it is a better huntsman if somewhat friendly in his approach towards people, especially into todays climate of Antis and the uneducated.

Business. I was just helping out. Years ago now. Great times.

Hello again,

My mistake regarding Phillips position at the York and Anisty South, my brother would have known better he has followed more packs than myself and has a greater knowledge regarding hound packs and hunting with hounds. To some people Phillip seemed to be somewhat miserable when trying to approach him and engage in certain topics of conversation. We never found that to be the case, we had some excellent times together within our shared interests. I can remember taking him to the Rydal hound show many years ago and we all got rather drunk. That evening we all went to a restaurant for a drink and meal together with 2 other friends and (Anthony Barker).Upon eating our fill we all left, when I asked Phillip who had picked up the bill he replied not himself or any other person had so.I knew I hadn't paid. So the moral of the story is, in our inebriated state we had just all walked out without paying! Anthony Barker was so drunk we had to pick him up and transport him to the car.....

"I think sometimes if you know something about a certain subject no matter sometimes how difficult a person comes across, you can gain a certain respect. That was our relationship with Phillip, plus total reliability and trust!

Regarding the West Norfolk.I first hunted with them approximately 30 years ago but really followed them about 25 years ago.

My brother has told myself about Jim Wing.To be quite honest when your mind is a blur you tend to forget about certain names, but they will eventually come to myself once again.

Certain places remain in my memory regarding a place called Castle Acre but I forget who owned the land. I remember meeting some keepers at the time at little Massingham and great Massingham. Archie, Just a question please? Did they hunt into Fakenham? A place called Mileham springs to mind and my brother took myself to a place he had been at Litcham Warren. Before fox hunting with hounds I was drawn to the place of Norfolk in my early childhood days and of course behond, to the rich birdlife on the Norfolk broads. I love the location!

I do realise the West Norfolk may not be the cream of fox hunting. However, the sport of venery is very old I think.Plus I did notice there was a close bond between fox hunters. "I am correct"? It seems to be that in this somewhat crazy world of ours, that everything that was once good is so rapidly changing. Traditions, music, places and more important people!

Good Luck, Lutra....

lutra lutra

Castle acre that could well of been Olsens or Wards land with some marshy ground in the low just off the main road.

They would have probably drawn the chalk put at Newton by Castle acre, always held

Massingham was probably Brunns land I would have thought.

Yes they used to meet in Fakenham market place on Boxing Day and the this moved to the race course or at Raynham hall which is only a stones throw from

Yes used to hunt Mileham, was a large square wood that used to hold called The Horsewood which was accessed from a long concrete drive. I remember a time when a terrier was to ground and the old grey box he had didn't work so there he was trying to pick up the signal with his hearing aid.

Whether it worked that way or he was able to hear feel anything through the ground who knows.

It wasn't a deep one luckily.

Litcham Warren was a hunt owned long strip of woodland with foxes often going away towards Mileham it across the road to Stanfield.

We used to look after a little shoot at Kempstone which virtually joined up to Litcham Warren and was always a good fox holding ground with regular finds in the Piggeries.

20-30 years ago was around the time when I was following and doing the terriers with dad

He used to do the Saturdays, and then later on Wednesdays as well.

Monday's were covered by a couple of other people.

So I think we must have met along the way

• Like 1

Hello Archie, Just replying to your post regarding the (West Norfolk ). My brother has told myself to mention that he knew Jim Wing well as he was Grahame and Tony Wings father. Did Jim die of cancer? I can now recall Grahame going to visit with his father in Norfolk when he was ill. That's when Grahame was at the South Durham.

Like I have said previously, I have many happy memories regarding that wonderful part of the world. I met keepers, landowners and some very good fox hunting people in that area. We went to a friends wedding in Kilmarnock in Scotland and Tony Wing was at the wedding; he's a great guy just like his brother Grahame.When Grahame hunted hounds at the Vale of Aylesbury we had many a good day in part of the world also. What type of terriers do you work and keep nowadays?

My interest for (Norfolk) will never wane and I plan to travel there once again in the near future. I will contact you about certain interests I have down there and perhaps our paths will cross eventually. Unfortunately a lifetime isn't enough to do everything one wants to do.

Regards, Lutra.....

Yes Jim Wing did die of cancer.

The hunting at that time was a lot better than it is now, had more country to go at and with easier regulations to work on re stopping up and terrier work.

We don't keep terriers now after an incident with the hunt pistol which led to an argument with the huntsman so we packed it in.

Pics of my dads 2 terriers are on a thread in the terrier section asking for pictures of your favourite dogs.

Does the name Andrew Ralli ring a bell with you

Boy did we have some fun with him, he was as mad as a hatter.

Now into my game shooting but would like a terrier but where I go the places are riddled with our striped friends with very little true fox earths.

Archi