Hemp Nets

bobhow

Hi lads quick question a mate of mine asked me to make him some new hemp nets as i have not made a net for a number of years i was wondering is it worth the trouble too make your own what i need to know is the price of hemp draw cord and rings and how many 3 ft nets will a spool make and how much will each net cost to make i have loads of time on my hands so man hours does not come in to it just is it worth the bother cheers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For hemp? Simple answer NO. Spun polyester is far better but when you have idiots selling purse nets @ £2.00 each then it does beg the question is it worth making your own?   TC

I mainly use 4' 6" nets i make myself, poke nets the same. As said i put a fair bit down the hole for the rabbit to put weight on tho stop it flipping the net, i usually push the ring into the ground,

you cant save him any money buy you can make sure he has a quality net for his money...

Hi lads quick question a mate of mine asked me to make him some new hemp nets as i have not made a net for a number of years i was wondering is it worth the trouble too make your own what i need to know is the price of hemp draw cord and rings and how many 3 ft nets will a spool make and how much will each net cost to make i have loads of time on my hands so man hours does not come in to it just is it worth the bother cheers

For hemp? Simple answer NO. Spun polyester is far better but when you have idiots selling purse nets @ £2.00 each then it does beg the question is it worth making your own?

TC

• Like 8

thanks to tiecel and the one for putting me straight on hemp what i need to know now is how many 3ft nets can a 1/2 kilo spool of poly make this is not about making money this is a favour for a friend and i want him to have value for is money for me its about reviveing a skill i have not used for 10 plus years if he shells out say £50 quid for materials and only gets 20 nets then hes wasted his money and iv.e wasted my time

cheers lads dont look like i can save my mate anything by making his nets for him how do the lads making nets turn a profit at 2 quid a net ?

There is only one way and that is cutting corners. You can make tidy 4ft purse nets for around £1.50 each those are 4ft nets with a big belly to the net. The nets that you get for £2.00 each you can barely get a rabbit in them they have cut them down so much, just to make a few pence more, so they can undercut the next bloke. A good quality 4ft purse net is worth every penny of £3.50.

But as buyers are always looking for the bargain, they are willing to accept an inferior product at a cheaper price. You should get ten to a dozen 4ft nets out of a 500g ball of spun poly.

I make shaped nets myself start @ 9 increase two meshes each row to 15 meshes then 15 rows of 15 then decreasing two meshes each row back to 9 22 rows in total. That gives you a 4ft net using a 2.1/8" mesh board, 4.1/4" full mesh, and plenty of belly in the net.

TC

• Like 3

Ive been getting about 12 nets out of a 500g spool. I dont know how people make money at £3.50 a net like tiercel says. I would be bankrupt if i tried to make a living from it lol. I just learned to make them because im to tight to pay some one else to do something i can do myself.

Plus its an awsome feeling catching rabbits in nets youve made yourself.

• Like 3

If Im making purse nets I do them 4'8" shaped to 18 and back down, my reason is simple very few netmakers make them that big, if I wanted smaller nets (cant think why) it would be cheaper to buy them at the ridiculous prices they're selling at.

Last week on another site 31st January 16 a lad asks how to make purse nets :yes: on the 10th February hes asking how much he can sell these nets for :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 2