Hemp Nets

bobhow

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For hemp? Simple answer NO. Spun polyester is far better but when you have idiots selling purse nets @ £2.00 each then it does beg the question is it worth making your own?   TC

I mainly use 4' 6" nets i make myself, poke nets the same. As said i put a fair bit down the hole for the rabbit to put weight on tho stop it flipping the net, i usually push the ring into the ground,

you cant save him any money buy you can make sure he has a quality net for his money...

Do the people that buy these nets at £2 each actually have any idea what a decent net is or are they that used to buying inferior quality that they don,t know any other ????

Most people who have been in the game some time make their own nets, simply because they know what type of nets they need. (There is a little of the monetary aspect to it as well :whistling: ) A chap ferreting tight Cornish hedges does not need the same type of net that a chap ferreting Norfolk sand warrens does. So each makes nets that suit the ground they work.

Someone new to the game does not really know what they need, so goes by the consensus that what everyone else is buying is what he needs. The problem with that is, every one else does not have a clue what they need either. :blink: So no one gets what they want / need. The net maker gets no profit, and the buyers get nets that will not suit the ground they work. A real lose lose situation.

TC

• Like 3

I make all mine 20 meshes wide straight down to four foot and I could of sold every net I made now folk want to bargain for everything and you have postage on top which is quite expensive as there big nets , so I will only be making nets for myself and a few mates

• Like 1

my nets start at 2 foot 6. 12 meshes wide that i use in tight hedge bottoms and over pop holes these are 10 z nylon then i have 3 ft 4 ft 5ft net 17 meshes wide made of 6 z nylon if you were buying golf clubs you would not buy a bag of putters

my nets start at 2 foot 6. 12 meshes wide that i use in tight hedge bottoms and over pop holes these are 10 z nylon then i have 3 ft 4 ft 5ft net 17 meshes wide made of 6 z nylon if you were buying golf clubs you would not buy a bag of putters

But your not playing golf with the nets. ;) Years ago I done the same small nets for bolt holes, net to fit specific types of holes,etc etc: But in the end always grabbed the 4ft nets as they will fit any hole no matter how small, if set right. :yes:

TC

• Like 3

when I set a purse net I always have some of the net down the hole for the rabbit to step onto it moves forward and the top ring of the net falls behind the rabbit idealy :thumbs: now2'6" and 3ft nets theres not enough net to do that and it acts like a catflap and a rabbit can be through it and out without it pursing.

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 3

That's how I set mine leeveiw but I have got smaller nets for tight hedgerows where I need them to purse up without to much drawer line if you know what I mean but always try to get bunny to run over bottom ring to ensure decent purse atb Flacko,

• Like 2

I set my nets the same way drop the ring down the hole spread net and peg in as far away as draw cord will allow but when you are in a tight hedge bottom covered in bramble a 4ft net will snag long be fore it purses on the other hand a small net will purse with less chance of snagging i push the ring in to the ground this stops the net flapping up

• Like 1

Know what tiecel saying & makes sense but I found having a smaller net for some of land I work just makes setting easier, truth is I just make sure I've got nets for every situation hopefully. Anyways good comments but this is a longnet thread isn't it lol atb Flacko

That's how I set mine leeveiw but I have got smaller nets for tight hedgerows where I need them to purse up without to much drawer line if you know what I mean but always try to get bunny to run over bottom ring to ensure decent purse atb Flacko,

I cant remember the last time I put a purse net in a hedge row :thumbs: I converted to stop nets run through a hedge above and below a warren a few years back now and would n't go back to purse nets, I make them 12-15yds long and you can tell by the net moving if there's a rabbit in the far side

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

A old lad i ferreted with in the 80s used to put a few inches of twine on the end of a ring and attached was approx a 2 or 3 inch hazel peg which was pushed inside the hole he used to call them snickle pegs? and had them on a lot of his nets.

I mainly use 4' 6" nets i make myself, poke nets the same. As said i put a fair bit down the hole for the rabbit to put weight on tho stop it flipping the net, i usually push the ring into the ground, same effect as what darbo has said which is a good idea i think. I will use smaller nets in the right situations where you want then to draw up fast on a smaller hole the net covers right, i always set the net first then set the peg as far away as possible so the net starts pursuing soon as the rabbit touches it.

• Like 3