No Nets

Guest vin

had a great day yesterday with Trigger and his dog Buster up from Shropshire for a day bolting to the dogs... Trigger did turn up with a bag of nets,but I reminded him that "nets are for wimps" and he left them in the truck..lol.

really bad weather on the high ground and a chill in the wind.We started at about 11am and finished at 3pm because the snow was starting to get tricky and you cant catch them all.

we split up and Trigger went of with his spade and 2 of my Hobs in a box and his trusty mutt.

I went up higher above him on the moor and worked my own little pack. just following the dogs marks and dropping a hob in,1 minute wait for a bolt and out with the carrot stick if nothing bolts, . . had some cracking misses and a few good catches and a very very enjoyable day.. Dogs and ferrets were on great form and everything went smoothly.. Nets are just not needed at all. I would rather miss a few and catch 1,than put nets down these days and catch everything.

I know chaps that go out regular with ferrets and nets,but no dog. . I don't think I could do that unless I was getting paid etc etc.

anyway we had a top day and young triggers dog did him proud like he always does and he caught 27,Which for a big lamping dog is no easy shake..Only time he ever ferrets is when he has the odd day out with me because he's a nightwalker.. The dog always adapts and excels himself at everything he does and yesterday was just another day for him on the job..He marks like a good un and points the bunny below with the accuracy of a pointer..lol.. Obviously he can catch them when they bolt and has no trouble adapting to the terrain etc etc. With all this talk of the Famous Ton Dogs etc etc catching 100 bunnies in a night blah blah..I really do think this dog could do that given the right time and place etc.. I would even put a little wage on that bet if it ever came about..

Ended the day on 53.. which aint too bad with none of that daft stringy stuff they call nets...hehee.

post-11815-0-86407700-1455557590_thumb.jpg

That Buster dog looks to be a handy sort of jukel.... :yes:

Well done to both of you,..just goes to show what can be achieved, by a brace of keen and virile young men :clapper:

He is Phil.. a very handy dog..and I've said it before..but its hard to explain how fluid in movement and flow he is.

great day was had thanks vin. it was the first time i had ever gone ferreting without a net as usally i take around 10 nets in my pockets just to help out my lamping dog. after the speech from vin about nets being for whimps i thought what the hell lets see how me and old buster get on.

i was all suited and booted and vin pointed me into the direction of a couple of trees which was a good spot for a couple of cheeky little bolts to start the day. i headed to them and didnt get a mark from the dog but i still had to try a ferret in one of the warrens, and yes as usall the dog knows best and there was nobody home. i then carried on about another 70 yards from the trees getting my first mark which produced 2 bolters and a little dig getting me off the mark with 2 of the first 3 in the bag. the rest of the day just went from strength to strength with the dog catching some nice bolters and he caught one that i dont think i will forget.

i ended the day on one of the best hunting highs ive had for a while.

• Like 1