• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well to keep the pie theme going lol we had a baking day as it was lashing down. Old muttly was on form last night 5 out of 6 so we had a few rabbits for grub and stopped Braised in cider wit

I'm getting plenty of daytime rabbits at the moment, filling the freezer with a pastry variation of my rabbit loin and bacon cottage pie.     Quick and easy, tasty too. Recipe here. http://www.ur

• 2 weeks later...

Trying something different. Pigeon breasts marinaded in olive oil, quince jelly, Moroccan dip salt and black pepper. When it's time for loading the pies I'm going to try layers (vertical) starting with the breast meat, avacado,breast meat etc. Now I know that with the quince and avacado it's going to be sweet but think I'll be ok. Thing is, with us not doing the rabbits now pigeon meat has to be used. Any other ideas you guys?

• Like 1

will be interesting pies jok. I struggle with pigeon and undecided how best to cook it. I have tried flash frying so its quite rare and tender then gone the other way and made a pie but cooked the whole bird for a couple of hours so its very tender

Well Terryd. As I mentioned previously, my wife's mum was full Greek. RIP. Any game dishes went with her approval. Now pigeon was No.1. Start with the whole bird, plucked and dressed properly. One generous sized onion, half a leek, pared carrot, (not too much), clove of garlic, virgin olive oil, black pepper and salt. The onion and leek should be lightly cooked in the oil for about 10 mins constantly moving them, add the garlic (crushed) and the carrot salt and pepper. Another 10 mins. The pigeon should be breast down, first one side then the other for at least 15 mins a side. Add a tin of Italian style tomatoes and simmer for as long as it takes the fluids to reduce to nearly nothing. Your meal is ready. Half a cup of long grain rice and serve. If your bird is done to perfection the legs will simply fall away fro the carcass. Glass of nice white wine and away you go. Incidentally, I' m having the pigeon with avacado and boiled egg pie for my dinner in about 2 hours time. Will let you know outcome.

• Like 2

Well my 3 pies off Jok are in the oven. 2 x mixed meat and 1 x pigeon, egg and avocado as Jok posted above.

I will update you all in half an hour. Shame I can't wash them down with a nice bottle of red wine. Work after ?

88856716-22DD-415B-A95E-357175BC980F_zps

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Terryd. As I mentioned previously, my wife's mum was full Greek. RIP. Any game dishes went with her approval. Now pigeon was No.1. Start with the whole bird, plucked and dressed properly. One generous sized onion, half a leek, pared carrot, (not too much), clove of garlic, virgin olive oil, black pepper and salt. The onion and leek should be lightly cooked in the oil for about 10 mins constantly moving them, add the garlic (crushed) and the carrot salt and pepper. Another 10 mins. The pigeon should be breast down, first one side then the other for at least 15 mins a side. Add a tin of Italian style tomatoes and simmer for as long as it takes the fluids to reduce to nearly nothing. Your meal is ready. Half a cup of long grain rice and serve. If your bird is done to perfection the legs will simply fall away fro the carcass. Glass of nice white wine and away you go. Incidentally, I' m having the pigeon with avacado and boiled egg pie for my dinner in about 2 hours time. Will let you know outcome.

Will be trying this next time I've got a couple of pigeons, sounds fecking brilliant :thumbs:

• Like 1