Goldfinch And Other Native Birds

Thought I would ask you guys in here what's the best feed to put out for goldfinches and other native birds Looked out the window this morning and seen around 10/15 goldfinch in my garden and wanting to keep them coming bk as over the years there as only been 3/4 dropped in. There is also bluetit black eyed wagtails get the odd pair of yellow wagtails call in

What's a black eyed wagtail look like mate ?

pied wagtail :laugh:
Just playing lol........you get yellow wagtails in your garden Paulus ?
no mate, best place to see pied wagtails is Morrisons supermarket car park :laugh::laugh:
Good photos. There's a big pied wagtail roost near my office. It's in the middle of a city, must be 100 plus come into 3 small trees on an evening. It's funny to watch the world rushing by, going to catch the train or bus and most of them are oblivious to them...

When i was a kid, always found there nests down the sewage works, there were brick brick circles full of stones, four arms were driven round by a two stoke engine. these arms were supported by wires onto a central column that was inside another smaller brick circle in the center, the bearing in the center was floated on mercury inside a great big casting that formed the center column that these arms were attached to, at the base of the castings there were indents and this is where they always nested, four to each casting, between these indents were the bleed nipples for the mercury but thats another story Lol

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A January Blackcap.     TC

Sun flower hearts or Niger seed.

What's a black eyed wagtail look like mate ?

Posted Images

Thought I would ask you guys in here what's the best feed to put out for goldfinches and other native birds Looked out the window this morning and seen around 10/15 goldfinch in my garden and wanting to keep them coming bk as over the years there as only been 3/4 dropped in. There is also bluetit black eyed wagtails get the odd pair of yellow wagtails call in

Can't see them being yellow wagtails jeppi, not a common bird nowerdays ( were they ever common in Barnsley lol)....they are a summer migrant only and piss off to Africa in the winter.....get your bird book out and prove me wrong mate.

Atb

Bell

100% yellow wagtails mate as you say not here in the winter I only see them around summer time I should have said lol I will try get some photos when there back mate any thing is possible in Barnsley :laugh:
  • Like 1

Can't see them being yellow wagtails jeppi, not a common bird nowerdays ( were they ever common in Barnsley lol)....they are a summer migrant only and piss off to Africa in the winter.....get your bird book out and prove me wrong mate.

Atb

Bell

100% yellow wagtails mate as you say not here in the winter I only see them around summer time I should have said lol I will try get some photos when there back mate any thing is possible in Barnsley :laugh:
Look forward to the pics Jep, your a lucky man....
  • Like 1

Through trial and error and by using many different types of food, in my experience I have found the (Niger) seed the best in order especially in attracting (Goldfinches) into your garden. However, someone mentioned sunflower hearts which are also very good food for Goldies.I have found that the Niger seed is somewhat better as to the regards of attraction techniques. But it would be rather difficult to ascertain which is the best in keeping birds coming to the feeders. As readers will be aware, a different feeder is needed for the Niger seed due to its minute size. Sunflower seeds or (Kernals) are packed with oil making them a brilliant source of energy for wild birds.Being huskless means less mess and greatly reduced waste as these seeds are eaten by all species of birds; ideally fed in feeders or on the table.

I have also picked and secured (mugwort) and (dock) from the countryside and stored safely in a dry well ventilated area; being used for Bullfinches.Any good bird man with any knowledge will know that Bullfinches love this type of food.In my opinion it would be very difficult to separate the 2 plants which the Bullfinches prefer. I would just by a slight margin say they had a preference for mugwort, I could be wrong.

The Yellow Wagtail, a somewhat beautiful bird caught my attention. I think Paulus correctly said about them being a summer visitor to these shores, although some years back and there was snow on the ground, a Yellow Wagtail wintered here as I was witness to the surprised occurrence. It remained as a visitor on my (mothers ) yard. Very unusual I would have thought. Although Blackcaps often stop and winter over here as do many other summer visitors. 'The experts put it down to climate change and the mild winters which seem more frequent at times.I'd be interested to hear other readers opinions. How wonderful, beautiful and fascinating bird life is.

• Like 1

When I had the Blackcap visiting I thought they were summer visitors, but when I researched it I found it is a common occurrence. From what I read the birds are not the same birds that spend the summer here, but birds from the northern end of their natural range who have migrated south. That may well be true of the yellow wagtail?

TC

• Like 1

Hello Bell, Good morning to you .It is great to read, listen and to share and even learn from others who love the (wildlife) game. I think the true people that hunt, shoot, fish and work all type of dogs are better qualified in country matters than any animal- rights activists or so -called animal lover. Ever since I can remember I have been at loggerheads with the (antis).The hunting folk have an insatiable appetite for all country matters, and their thirst for knowledge far exceed any animal -rights type people who are totally ignorant to country life. We are in the eyes of such people sadists who like to torment any kind of wildlife. "How wrong they are"! I think hunting and conservation go hand in hand. Look at the people on this forum who hunt, but they love birdlife and all things nature?

But try to explain that to the (Bill Oddies), your Chris Packhams and the Brian Mays of this crazy world? They are clueless on such such matters.

I have never professed to be anything in my life, but I do know about certain subjects, and for sure I know how passionate that many fieldSports folk are in their pursue for anything regarding hunting, conservation and many other aspects concerning wildlife.

You do like many others, like your feathered friends. For many years now I have noticed a sharp decline in the Turtle Dove numbers. For many years I did a lot of watching these beautiful little fellows in some local woodland.The woodland consists of much silver Birch and a mixture of conifer trees. Then suddenly I ceased to hear them which is of course always sad. Then funny enough some other species seems to myself to have increased in numbers. I do love the finch family and it would be rather difficult to pick a favourite out of the bunch of such a wonderful family of birds; but the Bullfinch is somewhere at the top of my list.Another is the Redpoll, Mealy or lesser I am not sure? One of my all time favourite birds beside a few others would be the (Corn Bunting).As many people will know, they are one of the most difficult of all our natives to locate their nests as they very rarely give any clues to the whereabouts of their location. Another 2 birds on my list are the elusive Woodcock and the beautiful but enigmatic Nightjar. Many apologies for going on at times, but it is great to share one's same interests in life.Something the (antis) will never quite grasp!

Edited by Lutra Lutra
  • Like 1

When I had the Blackcap visiting I thought they were summer visitors, but when I researched it I found it is a common occurrence. From what I read the birds are not the same birds that spend the summer here, but birds from the northern end of their natural range who have migrated south. That may well be true of the yellow wagtail?

TC

Hello tiercel, you would be correct in what you said and you will understand unlike some people who don't have the knowledge about birds, that for example people don't realise that many Blackbirds or Robins arrive here in winter from other European countries. It doesn't just apply to summer visitors.Do some Chiffchaffs winter here also? Going by your alias or pen name, do you like the Peregrines? Just being somewhat interested.