Which .17 Hmr?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They should all be ok, and only you can decide what you want, because I have no need for any of them, my 452 Silhouette is fine for me!        

Can't believe the cz 452 not in their!???

Congratulation’s by the way. Fate makes us say the correct thing at the correct time, words in jest, outcome one .17HMR. Good luck with your pleasant dilemma.   All the best

Posted Images

Anshutz all day long fantastic guns... in my opinion the best hmrs around

Anschutz do indeed make very fine guns!

Back in the 70's, after many years with my BSA Martini International (an excellent rifle but you needed a Fork Lift to move it) someone turned up at the Club with an Anschutz, BA. I had never heard of them, but it was an eye opener, it was a joy to hold and shoot, and very accurate.

Since those days it has been my good fortune to shoot all manner of rifle makes, in all sorts of calibres, shooting is a major part of my life and income.

My views on Anschutz have not changed, they still make excellent rifles, but at the same time I find nothing in them technically to justify changing from my collection of CZ.

I have no real concern about cost or aesthetics, my rationale in any rifle is accuracy, repeatability and reliability, CZ do that for me in the field.

If someone wants to buy/use an Anschutz you will not get any criticism from me, but neither will you find it improves on any of the virtues my CZ's deliver.

ATB! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • 2 weeks later...

So David have you got the HMR yet and if so which you go for ?

Rather interested as am looking at the target/varmint myself, I know I should go CZ ( cause everyone says so :p ) but T-bolt top of the list for me atm.

I think what people generally say is that a CZ will do all you want in the field, its accurate, reliable and repeatable, and that's all you need in a rifle.

After that its down to personal choice of style/weight/make/stock construction/et/etc/etc.

The fact is, spending more will not buy you a more accurate, more reliable etc field gun, but the choice is always down to the individual.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

So David have you got the HMR yet and if so which you go for ?

Rather interested as am looking at the target/varmint myself, I know I should go CZ ( cause everyone says so :p ) but T-bolt top of the list for me atm.

It will be........the Browning t-bolt 16.5" varmint/target. I know it's a marmite moment, but having tried one I love the t-bolt. Yes, the 1517 Anschutz was an option, but as I have a 1417 (the .22lr version) I didn't want the same rifle in a different caliber. The Browning will be here in April. Looking at a new permission today so can't wait to use it in the field.

• 3 weeks later...

Well went off HMR shopping on friday with a reasonably open mind, came back with the T-bolt in target varmint ticked more boxes than anything else I handled but being a Lefty and having up to now a shotgun background did swing it to the Browning.

For me the CZ felt too agricultural and didn't come up very well, felt like needed a bit of work to get it as you'd like but fully aware it shoots well and for me was mostly a looks thing. Anschutz was nice but I wasn't so impressed as i'd thought i'd be but if I was right handed I would without doubt stretched the budget and gone with a Weihrauch HW66, looked nice, came up very well and beautiful trigger pull on it, only one fault was the magazine seemed to delight in dropping out with the slightest touch of the release spring. three times just handling it in the shop it dropped out. T-bolt composite seemed a bit of a toy gun feel but the walnut version looked nice, trigger which most seem to fault is a clean break and I like the safety where it is, in reach of my thumb, which is the reason the Weihrauch stayed and the Browning came home.

I got the right hand version T-bolt even though a Left hand was there and available and it works fine using my left hand thumb to reload, seems to make more sense to not have to move the hand to reload.

All in all as Dekker said it came down to personal preference for me, not being a out and out rifle guy I did go for some nice looking wood, something which came up well, being left handed was a lot of the reason I went the way I did in the end, the right hand straight pull makes sense for a lefty, think if i was righthanded set on a T-bolt I would look at a left hand one as well as a right.

No idea which one is the most accurate to shoot or if there is no difference in them, they would all shoot better than I can that's for sure.

Now just waiting for the wind to drop so I can Zero and practice.

• Like 1