Canadian Trapping Thread.

My eldest girl is in Japan and has been seeing a Canadian lad for the last 18 months and when they decide to leave Japan they will be going to Canada and although he doesn't hunt himself half of his family live at the foothills of the Rockies and he has spoken to them and I have an open offer to have a trip out with them when I visit Canada ... It will probably be a few years yet but it will be good if it happens ..........

You better get them leather chaps out then .......

Best get the Kevlar padded ones for skidoo's.

Apparently they keep sled dogs mate so if it's the summer we will ride out on horseback and if it's the winter then on the sled with the dogs .......

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knew it.........

This guy does a rundown of his trapping season every year on a bowhunting forum i am a member of,the amount of wolf and bobcat he snares every year is fantastic.Just have a quick look at his photo's.

I am flying out there end of March for a month, i have timed it so i can go to the trappers convention at the fur harvesters auction in north bay Ontario,this will be my 5th trip over and i am going o

Posted Images

My eldest girl is in Japan and has been seeing a Canadian lad for the last 18 months and when they decide to leave Japan they will be going to Canada and although he doesn't hunt himself half of his family live at the foothills of the Rockies and he has spoken to them and I have an open offer to have a trip out with them when I visit Canada ... It will probably be a few years yet but it will be good if it happens ..........

You better get them leather chaps out then .......
Best get the Kevlar padded ones for skidoo's.
Apparently they keep sled dogs mate so if it's the summer we will ride out on horseback and if it's the winter then on the sled with the dogs .......

Well at least of you come home walking like John Wayne, you can say it's from the horse riding!?

I am flying out there end of March for a month, i have timed it so i can go to the trappers convention at the fur harvesters auction in north bay Ontario,this will be my 5th trip over and i am going on my own so i dont have to think about anybody else, should be able to get some Coyote hunting in and plenty of fishing, also another trip to the Bass pro shop, i am really looking forward to it.

Brian

• Like 4

It would be a dream on mine to get on a good trapline with a knowledgable guy for a month......great pics! :victory:

I think snareman used to go over to canada,maybe even where he learnt his mink expertise from,he probably still has contacts over there.

Once both my kids graduate and i have a few pennies spare for extended holidays i have a couple of contacts in canada who trap,wouldnt mind some time trapping beaver,i have seen their dens in ontario and wouldnt mind a crack at it,i am over there in mid-feb but none of the family are particularly interested in trapping.

Alaska's the place, everythings game there!

• Like 1

Yup,i know that,but i am buying some gear over there,i think its the same when i looked into buying a number of kania,its not difficult to get a mate to send some over nowadays.

Edited by mackem
  • Like 1

Bushwear have collerums in there winter sale at the moment at £71.99, probably cheaper than getting them sent over when you take shipping into account,

why anyboby wants them i dont know, i have never caught a sodding thing in mine

• 2 weeks later...

It would be a dream on mine to get on a good trapline with a knowledgable guy for a month......great pics! :victory:

I think snareman used to go over to canada,maybe even where he learnt his mink expertise from,he probably still has contacts over there.

Once both my kids graduate and i have a few pennies spare for extended holidays i have a couple of contacts in canada who trap,wouldnt mind some time trapping beaver,i have seen their dens in ontario and wouldnt mind a crack at it,i am over there in mid-feb but none of the family are particularly interested in trapping.

Alaska's the place, everythings game there!
have a look at Alberta and British Columbia,I spoke to a well heeled guy yesterday,hunts all over the place,he reckons both are easily on par with Alaska,now I just need a lottery win to afford all three places.

Just bought a couple of mags,one of the readers pics pages,decent results,there's also a load of full page ads for leg hold traps and supplies,reminds me of the old CTF catalogues with all of the netting supplies I used to get through the post pre Internet era.

post-1930-0-53024200-1455995059_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I was 75 feet underground earlier today in a 1960's Cold War nuclear bunker,it's a 4 storey 300 room place,there's a canteen/restroom untouched since it was last occupied and I was flicking through an old catalogue on one of the tables,remember ogling at your mums old little woods catalogue,you used to be able to buy shotguns and Airguns and a bit of fishing tackle,well the catalogue I browsed earlier is an old Canadian eatons catalogue filled with all sorts of stuff,even sold traps.

post-1930-0-71989300-1456114020_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

"WCS will not ship these to the UK. It must be something to do with the deal with Magnum trap co. To order these for the Uk then they must be bought from other stores instead"

Both the WCS Tube trap and the WCS collarum UK models are slightly different than those available in the US and Canada?

Only the UK models are approved for use here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/13/pdfs/uksi_20120013_en.pdf

"WCS Collarum Stainless UK Fox Model
manufactured by or under the authority of
Wildlife Control Supplies
"

and:

"WCS Tube Trap International manufactured
by or under the authority of Wildlife Control
Supplies..../....The trap must be set within the artificial tunnel
provided by the manufacturer for use in the
UK
"

Magnum traps offer an explanation:

http://www.magnumtrap.com/wcs-collarum.php

"The English approved version features a Relaxalock cable and adjustable stop to ensure a 'friendly' capture and comply with UK legislation. The WCS Collarum has been added to the list of approved spring traps for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland"

http://www.magnumtrap.com/tube-trap.php
"The English approved version has a considerably more powerful spring than it's American counterpart and is additionally fitted with two 'killing bars' inside the tube.The target is therefore struck against these bars instead of being simply crushed against the side of the tunnel. It also has a safety catch.
The standard USA version of this trap is not approved for use in the UK. It is illegal to use it here. Please only use approved traps. Do not accept illegal, often underpowered, copies or versions."

Importing US/Canadian would seem somewhat pointless unless someone intends to break the law by using them.