Spaniel X Running Dog

2 hours ago, billhardy said:

I would think the straight spaniel grey could be headstrong, and maybe hyper ,when spaniel xes with say a collie or terrier beddy etc,chances are they steady down better for the creation of a Lurcher xes to a Fast Lurcher mixing it up  has wonderful affects on the outcome of the Lurcher.a blip sometimes gets better than large dollops of a breed..atb bunnys

Springer x lurcher..... not head strong....very responsive to commands......real stealth hunter.....if you get your kicks from watching a dog hunt....nice dog.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just put my jrtxwhippet over my patterdalexspringer. I'm not sure the pups, if the mating even takes, can really be called lurchers but I'm hoping for some fast and driven mooching dogs. The russ

Mine is 3 this month I believe. Dam spaniel.....sire lurcher,,, she's 21 inch and quite long, heavyish front end, but lurcher looking from back....when sat looks nothing like a lurcher.   It's unus

Been out with her again today knocked a rabbit out the reeds it didn't get two foot before she picked it up. She also missed two pheasants by millimetres but she will get the hang of that. A real plea

Posted Images

Going on those I have seen and heard about the running dog side seems to have a steadying affect on the offspring though I would prefer one if the dame side of the breeding was the springer tbh some will argue their is no difference.

Edited by tatsblisters
spelling mistake
4 hours ago, billhardy said:

I would think the straight spaniel grey could be headstrong, and maybe hyper ,when spaniel xes with say a collie or terrier beddy etc,chances are they steady down better for the creation of a Lurcher xes to a Fast Lurcher mixing it up  has wonderful affects on the outcome of the Lurcher.a blip sometimes gets better than large dollops of a breed..atb bunnys

The best spaniels about today are not at all hyperactive. They hunt hard, but are honest and biddable. If anything the modern day spaniel has need bred to be easily trained and many spaniel men complain that modern dogs are too soft.

1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Going on those I have seen and heard about the running dog side seems to have a steadying affect on the offspring though I would prefer one if the dame side of the breeding was the springer tbh some will argue their is no difference.

Mine was the dam.....

2 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Springer x lurcher..... not head strong....very responsive to commands......real stealth hunter.....if you get your kicks from watching a dog hunt....nice dog.

Old mate bred some from a eigtheen inch rytex springer xs Welsh collie bitch ,sire was fast type line bred saluki greyhound bred down from old  ds line rip.they come very decent twenty one inch bird rabbit dogs very very steady  retrieve was very natural some were trained to find drugs and narcotics and did so on mooching trips find stuff hung in trees the lot rediciously good far far and aways better drive and scenting ability than the normal mooching type base breeds the spaniel blood took them to another level and ta boot cheep ta keep and they were not on top when in places where one should not be we had a little bitch here she went on to become a real good little bitch and was sent to find all sorts game these had no quirks one can get with some of the base types . And they were on par with any small Lurcher type for speed .atb bunnys

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
15 hours ago, Mustelid said:

How's the spaniel x lurcher bitch you've written about previously going Fourtrak?

Mines doing well if it’s any interest to you. In fairness I don’t lamp or ferret anymore with my dogs so she just hunts. She’s caught everything, but really she’s just a one for the pot type of dog. Her drive to hunt would knock the socks off any bedlington or collie type lurcher......and that’s not pulling bed or collie lurchers down by any means. I can only comment on mine as I haven’t seen others work.

I would sooner take my chances with a pet springer x a pet lurcher over a working bred collie or bedlington lurcher.....but that’s just me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Mines doing well if it’s any interest to you. In fairness I don’t lamp or ferret anymore with my dogs so she just hunts. She’s caught everything, but really she’s just a one for the pot type of dog. Her drive to hunt would knock the socks off any bedlington or collie type lurcher......and that’s not pulling bed or collie lurchers down by any means. I can only comment on mine as I haven’t seen others work.

I would sooner take my chances with a pet springer x a pet lurcher over a working bred collie or bedlington lurcher.....but that’s just me.

Just remembered who you are, different username. You had a collie and a collie/grey, both bitches if I remember correctly. Not sure if you had them at same time though

54 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Just remembered who you are, different username. You had a collie and a collie/grey, both bitches if I remember correctly. Not sure if you had them at same time though

Hello shaaark...your right I used to have a pure collie dog and bitch  also had collie lurchers, 50 % of them had not too bad hunting instinct, the others would just be as happy trotting along a path looking for a twig to carry.......but that’s with regards to having the drive to look for game when there’s not a great deal about. If you were ferreting or lamping putting game in front of them no problem.

I used to see old ladies walking there pet spaniels whose hunting instinct would knock the socks off my lurchers.That’s when I decided I needed some spaniel in there. From a young age the spaniel lurcher I have had the instinct to hunt I’d been after, she was crafty and clever with it. The other thing I like is  she’s so trainable. On the down side unfortunately she is sensitive to thunder and other certain loud bangs, she does seem to tolerate the local shotguns though. Another annoying thing she’s started to do the last month (at full volume) is sound like a dog in distress when she’s marking a pheasant in a tree......of course this alerts everyone thinking a dogs hurt or something......need to get her out of this.

My next lurcher will definitely be of similar breeding.

• Like 2