fourtrak73

Spaniel X Running Dog

Mine is 3 this month I believe. Dam spaniel.....sire lurcher,,, she's 21 inch and quite long, heavyish front end, but lurcher looking from back....when sat looks nothing like a lurcher.

It's unusual to see a half cross that's not thrown black with a bit of white on it.

I can't comment on what all spaniel lurchers are going to work like as an all round lurcher as I only use mine for daytime mooching, but I pretty sure for daytime hunting you'll get a grafter.

Mines given me more pleasure to work in the daytime than any other lurcher I have owned. She would stand out in a crowd of much faster more suited looking lurchers at daytime hunting.

If a first cross lurcher is your thing then I can't think of any other lurcher first cross that's generally available that would touch a spaniel/ gundog lurcher at day time mooching.....

Sorry same old photos...i'll have to take some more

fa73d72b65c974ce25c8347dc849cf46.jpg

f9383dc6ca2f3b57b8da274315298ac2.jpg

Hi I think I may have the sister to your bitch, if not then its an absolute double, mine was bred in the midlands born 27 april 14, they are bedy whippet greyhound cross working springer. my bitch is also very good all rounder and no slouch on a rabbit. I have just bred her to a first cross whippet greyhound. nice to see others with this bit of a rare cross.

• Like 2

Mine is 3 this month I believe. Dam spaniel.....sire lurcher,,, she's 21 inch and quite long, heavyish front end, but lurcher looking from back....when sat looks nothing like a lurcher.

It's unusual to see a half cross that's not thrown black with a bit of white on it.

I can't comment on what all spaniel lurchers are going to work like as an all round lurcher as I only use mine for daytime mooching, but I pretty sure for daytime hunting you'll get a grafter.

Mines given me more pleasure to work in the daytime than any other lurcher I have owned. She would stand out in a crowd of much faster more suited looking lurchers at daytime hunting.

If a first cross lurcher is your thing then I can't think of any other lurcher first cross that's generally available that would touch a spaniel/ gundog lurcher at day time mooching.....

Sorry same old photos...i'll have to take some morefa73d72b65c974ce25c8347dc849cf46.jpgf9383dc6ca2f3b57b8da274315298ac2.jpg

Hi I think I may have the sister to your bitch, if not then its an absolute double, mine was bred in the midlands born 27 april 14, they are bedy whippet greyhound cross working springer. my bitch is also very good all rounder and no slouch on a rabbit. I have just bred her to a first cross whippet greyhound. nice to see others with this bit of a rare cross.

No........different litter......She was an accidental mating, game keepers spaniel and very old lurcher. Her sire was a big old lad. I picked her up from a Hackness Grange North Yorkshire.....born end June/July.......they do all seem to look like peas in a pod.

I pretty sure I talk to a bloke on here who might have had one out of that litter you talk about,,,, I don't know for sure, but I know his had bedlington and whippet in the lurcher side.

Edited by wuyang

On 24/01/2016 at 8:06 PM, fourtrak73 said:

Its first real season coming on well, eager to please, always got its nose down. Its not the fastest bitch in the world but doesn't miss much, perfect in the reedy fields. Belongs to my pal Ste, another season under its belt to calm down and it will be perfect. A few pics.post-27532-0-00829000-1453665991_thumb.jpg

Are you still seeing this bitch out and about Fourtrak? There have been a few interesting threads over the years concerning Gundog x lurchers... has anyone bred one/bought one of late?

back in the 70s a mate of mine had a lab cross he was a tidy dog for mouching another bloke in the village had one his was a bit racier and cought the odd hare, walking home one night we had just hares and I saw a rabbit squatting and cought it by hand tommy begged it off me and for the next 20 years always mentiond that when he saw me, made me smile tonight, I have a first class cocker dog would leave a good pup to a grew dog never stops and always finds the unfindable when picking up.

Think a spaniel whippet or a spaniel x lurcher (21 tts) would make an ideal mooching dog for someone who does a lot of daytime work around sets ,be it ferreting or trapping snaring and every little bit on the lamp.

be ideal for a ferreting man who worked hedge rows /reed beds / wood lands 

1 hour ago, Mustelid said:

Are you still seeing this bitch out and about Fourtrak? There have been a few interesting threads over the years concerning Gundog x lurchers... has anyone bred one/bought one of late?

still going strong its my mates bitch, very handy thing she is too have a crack at anything

23 hours ago, Mustelid said:

Haven't seen it this season but had some good fun with it last season day and night

That's good to hear. I often wonder why such lurchers are not more common.

If anyone wants a Springer stud for such a cross a good friend has a field trial winner who hunts hard yet is extremely biddable. He's a leggy dog, ideal for a greyhound bitch!

Had a dog years ago was a cocker,cattle dog,whippet used him on everything from rabbits to pigs.He was fast as fck and would try and kill anyone who messed with you.Looked a lot like the dog above.A great all round dog.

Mates got a springer collie xs saluki Lurcher  good tough gutsy lurchermans dog. Atb bunnys

There's a few scattered about then. I wonder how they compare to the more common collie and bedlington crosses?

I've seen a few gwp crosses and they'e great for hunting big tracts of land. 

I like the idea of a spaniel cross... a smaller animal that is a natural hunter and retriever.