Rabbit Loin, Bacon And Asparagus Cottage Pie

I did some rabbit loin pies and the sauce was just from the cooking juices, Stilton cheese and a cornflower gravy. When I'd left it to cool it thickened up lovely. Just put my next batch of faggots in the oven. They are flying out the door. Most of the lads ans lasses haven't a clue whether it's traditional, rabbit, venison, pheasant, wood pigeon or whatever. They just think they're the business. My pal just text me that he has a load of partridge coming to my house tonight. Never ending this baking lark but it certainly keeps me out of mischief LOL. As if.

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been cooking this one for quite a while now, which has become a family favourite, that will have even the most anti hunting guests scraping the bowl.   http:// I have always considered rabb

Another beauty. Liver pate from what was left hanging in my porch the other night. Did an onion, red chilli, mushrooms, belly pork, sage, thyme, black pepper and salt. Lined the loaf tin with streaky

I'm a chef by trade and love to cook with game. This was a dish I cooked for myself and the misses, a bit pretentious but that's the standard I work too! Lol   Slow roasted leg of rabbit, Pan seared

Posted Images

The best part of pest control is making tasty dishes. You know you've got a good one, when you get a rabbit in your sights and your mouth waters. Going to make up some pies with this rabbit and bacon loin mix next.

I did some rabbit loin pies and the sauce was just from the cooking juices, Stilton cheese and a cornflower gravy. When I'd left it to cool it thickened up lovely. Just put my next batch of faggots in the oven. They are flying out the door. Most of the lads ans lasses haven't a clue whether it's traditional, rabbit, venison, pheasant, wood pigeon or whatever. They just think they're the business. My pal just text me that he has a load of partridge coming to my house tonight. Never ending this baking lark but it certainly keeps me out of mischief LOL. As if.

I've not tried stilton in with rabbit before - I am not a big fan of blue cheese if it is strong, but I like it mild with broccoli - if I can't be bothered to make a proper pie, one of the frozen puff discs thawed out, and then covered in chopped broccoli and crumbled mild stilton, with an egg wash base makes a lovely quick meal to use up extra greens.

What amount of stilton did you use, and strength, and was it a strong blue flavour ?

The local butcher here does some amazing faggots - just the thing with mash and gravy after a long day, especially given the recent weather ! My polytunnel is clinging to the ground despite the best efforts of Storm Jonas !

• Like 1

I'm a chef by trade and love to cook with game. This was a dish I cooked for myself and the misses, a bit pretentious but that's the standard I work too! Lol

Slow roasted leg of rabbit, Pan seared loin with sweet potato pureé, creamed haggis, tenderstem, roasted roots with a red wine game jus.

2015-10-15%2022.28.54_zps2bic6x0g.jpg

• Like 4

Flipping Eck kid. We barely have a kitchen. Nice result but you need to give us a clue about all these chef terms. We work with stew, pie, pate if being posh and the like. However a nice recipe for rabbit fricosse would be nice. Up to it pal?

• Like 2

Yeah, the haggis is an odd component to the dish, but I'm Scottish and it would be rude not to! Lol

As for the fricasse, I. Would start by heating a large casserole dish and add chicken stock, white wine, pearl onions, a few sprigs of tyme and bring to a simmer. Add the meat ( you can aslo use the carcass) and button mushrooms, then cover and simmer till the meat is cooked. Remove the meat (carcass) and take off the heat.

Now this is hard part, whisk egg yolks and cream together and gradually add to the stock to thicken the stock into a sauce. Adding to much will cause the egg to cook and ruin it unfortunately. Once thickened add the meat,parsley and season

Hope this helps jok.

A few dishes from home and work.

2015-10-24%2021.00.23_zpslehdrqpn.jpg

FB_IMG_1453937246021_zpsnacmknhf.jpg

FB_IMG_1453937253087_zpss8zuo5qp.jpg

FB_IMG_1453937263506_zpsymtepwnu.jpg

Atb

Edited by beam
  • Like 3

Some beautiful meals there beam. Will try the rabbit fricasse I like the sound of that.

To bring us down to earth with a bump this is how you don't cook :thumbdown::laugh: tasted ok but me mustard sauce split and looked a bit grim. It seems cream in sauces don't like a long time in the oven

24189208842_828b462cb1.jpg

• Like 1

Flavour over presentation everytime!

Every days a school day when it comes to cooking,the best part of being a chef is to be creative.

All the desserts above where subjected to trial and error till perfected.

Atb

No hardship Terryd. trying's everything in my book. What about them Beam dishes?? Well son/madam, they look brilliant as am sure they are. The fricasse is pretty much how we do it so I'll give it a go following your tips. Pics to follow. Don't know how to make it look pretty though. LOL

• Like 1