Kennels, Is Plastic Fantastic...?

Over the next few months i'm looking to replace my kennels.

I'm thinking of breaking the mold and going plastic! For warmth, hygene and longjevity (is that really a word!)

So the question is, does anyone use plastic, what type and how do you find it.

Good and bad opinions please. ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I tried my terriers in plastic barrels once upon a time. Horrible things. Condensation ran down the insides and pooled under the bedding, despite the front being open. I would put plastic on a par wit

Here's some what I got nocked up of a old Carpinter insulated floors walls and lid was minus 10 the other day and they was lovely and warm when you lift the lid

I think them yank igloo things look stupid,,,and I seen a pic of your back garden,,,lovely country garden ,,they wouldn't look right.....   Get a good solid tongue and grove shed,,,with a good quali

Ive not got dog kennels made from it but i know people who have. They used the recycled plastic sheets from solway recyclicng its fairlly cheap and you can make loads of stuff from it i made a heater box from it for reviving lambs at lambing time. You can get ready made stuff from the also but if your handy with tools its easy to do yourself.

• Like 1

I tried my terriers in plastic barrels once upon a time. Horrible things. Condensation ran down the insides and pooled under the bedding, despite the front being open. I would put plastic on a par with metal in terms of dryness: zero. As for warmth, I suppose it might be a tad warmer than metal, but nowhere near as warm as wood. I also had a prototype ferret box made of some poly something material. Again, got very damp inside, where wooden boxes never get condensation in them.

I just don't like the idea of putting an animal into something that is non-breathable, not if it is outside and subject to a wide range in temperature and humidity. Might be alright for lab animals in a controlled environment, but not in real life. I suppose if it is very well insulated it might be OK, but I'd sooner have the warmth of wood and deal with chewing or insect problems. Plus ... IMO plastic just looks dreadful: so stark and cold and unfriendly ... OK, crawling back into my dinosaur cave again :laugh:

• Like 6

Have to agree with forest of dean redneck, i used plastic barrels for kennels many years ago, all through winter, well packed with straw and the dogs where very warm and i didnt have condensation issues at all. cheap, solid and durable.

• Like 1

Have to agree with forest of dean redneck, i used plastic barrels for kennels many years ago, all through winter, well packed with straw and the dogs where very warm and i didnt have condensation issues at all. cheap, solid and durable.

Yeah I filled them with straw,dogs would make nest in there.

Thanks for the feedback people. Penny, i've always had the same opinion as you about plastic and have always put my dogs in good wooden housing but I think I may be missing a trick if i dont take the opportunity to see if the world of kennels has changed.

What i'm aiming to do is extend my barred runs and sit two new kennels in them, rather than a big kennel (shed) block at the end.

FDR i've seen the plastic barrel housing used quite a bit, usually with a wooden front and mostly housing terriers and if i'm honest i'm looking for something purpose built and smarter because they will be on full view in the garden.

What i've been looking at are the Fairplast dogvilla 110 and the Igloo housing. Both of these models can have insulation, ventilation and both have floor drainage systems for cleaning and keeping dry. Has anyone got and expierience with these products, or know of any similar??

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=621&pf_id=50816

Yeah I had one of these the company near me doesn't seem to be trading any more.

They are good ,the clips are fragile and break on them ,not so bad when only 1 or 2 ,but eventually they go,and they can break if something heavy goes onto them,Seen broken ones at the traders,

The barrels were cheaper stronger but as you say not pretty.

I found plastic to be a to be poor for dog housing.

Found it easy to clean but twice as easy to get dirty and wet which always seemed to spread to every corner of housing, the dogs always seemed to be damp and stinking.

Plastic = unhappy dogs in IMO.

Atb

Forgot to mention it made things harder not easier and dogs hated it.
  • Like 1