Bedlington X Greyhound

i would say the hardest part of getting good bedlingtonx greyhounds,is finding true working strains of bedlingtons,the first 2 dogs i had of this x wereout of the rillingtonstrain when george newcombe was breeding in the1980s,they were excellent dogs for lamping,ferreting and daylight hunting,had another one late 90s unsure of what was in the bedlington side,turned into a night mare,just wanted to kill every thing,stock included needless to say we parted company when he was about 2yrs of age, the first two were with me tillthey passed on, good dogs and good memories

A dog unsafe with stock is down to stewardship,Georges dogs were seldom lent to lurcher breeding,in his kennels.Hybrid vigour produces more honest Beddy lurchers than names behind the breeding,then the kennel they reside in aids their ultimate progress,at times.You can polish a turd and make it glisten,its still smells.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bed/grey..x b/g..w/g. Two in hand both single handed, on floor another mans catch. Always thought a beddy base was spot on for the bashing , free running with the tykes , quite often took their

Beddy greyhound 16 months old and doing ok so far had a couple not done a great deal with him still young 26tts

Im pleased you think so but the ones ive seen and got have plenty of drive and gameness,but you are welcome to your opinion.

Posted Images

Even away back then spud wasn't a straight grey/beddy, there was other bits and bobs in him, another gimmick.

The gimmick Hosker had some believe was that the dog was a world beater,at the time the Dales where resplendant with bunnys and any dog that saw residence was going to come to grips with them,i had a terrier that caught 11 in reed beds above Airton,spud lacked pace and determination,fact,possibly why it jacked,another fact,saying that i witnessed better dogs than Spud jack on rabbits when they saw to many around Malham,they became that accustomed to them they finally began to ignore them.Again few on here have ever had a dog that saw so many rabbits day after day after week after week after month after month and year that the dog was sickened by them.Spud could hunt and mark as well as any,any dog that was in the same situation at the time,he was a cart horse that struggled to catch if it left its seat and opened its legs,it caught the odd hare from its seat and never caught one that jumped up 30 yds before it,rabbits included.Hosker portrayed it in a different illumination and was averse to mentioning Spuds poorer traits,it owned may.

• Like 3

i would say the hardest part of getting good bedlingtonx greyhounds,is finding true working strains of bedlingtons,the first 2 dogs i had of this x wereout of the rillingtonstrain when george newcombe was breeding in the1980s,they were excellent dogs for lamping,ferreting and daylight hunting,had another one late 90s unsure of what was in the bedlington side,turned into a night mare,just wanted to kill every thing,stock included needless to say we parted company when he was about 2yrs of age, the first two were with me tillthey passed on, good dogs and good memories

A dog unsafe with stock is down to stewardship,Georges dogs were seldom lent to lurcher breeding,in his kennels.Hybrid vigour produces more honest Beddy lurchers than names behind the breeding,then the kennel they reside in aids their ultimate progress,at times.You can polish a turd and make it glisten,its still smells.

morton ican assure you that last beddy x i had was well versed with sheep from an early age, but turned rogue for no apparent reason not down to my training,in regards to the crosses from george newcombes strain,these dogs were bred by les robinson of brigg who had the use of newcombes old blue,if you are really knowleagable, you will know that les and george were life long frends,so dont doubt what i say.

Another traditional Lurcher type rapidly disappearing.. My guess is because of the poor quality bedlingtons about or was about..!!

Use to enjoy Gary hoskers articles in the edrd mag when it was worth reading about his 1st X spud..

Hoskers poetic tripe and spud was the worst thing that could have ever happened to Beddy lurchers,all the young tyro,s expected more from their new found "wonder Spud" than their charges were capable of.Spud was a third rate lurcher in a fourth rate kennel,fact.
just another case of the pen being mightier then the sword I take it!!

It seems the birth off the Internet has given the power of speech to the people who once was on the other side of the fence,,, and now they can give there own option and the heads up on these magazine made heroes..

Another traditional Lurcher type rapidly disappearing.. My guess is because of the poor quality bedlingtons about or was about..!!

Use to enjoy Gary hoskers articles in the edrd mag when it was worth reading about his 1st X spud..

Hoskers poetic tripe and spud was the worst thing that could have ever happened to Beddy lurchers,all the young tyro,s expected more from their new found "wonder Spud" than their charges were capable of.Spud was a third rate lurcher in a fourth rate kennel,fact.
just another case of the pen being mightier then the sword I take it!!

It seems the birth off the Internet has given the power of speech to the people who once was on the other side of the fence,,, and now they can give there own option and the heads up on these magazine made heroes..

Some of george newcombes dogs were at stud to greyhounds etc

60_zpsfxgdrm20.jpg

That must of been well over 20yrs ago cos when i was at georges i dont think they were there as he has 4 dogs over 12yrs old a young pair the same age as mine i think the dog was viper but im not sure and a couple of cross breds.1 borderxbedfie what a ugly thing and 2 i think had lakie in them.but like i say that was 22yrs ago

Even away back then spud wasn't a straight grey/beddy, there was other bits and bobs in him, another gimmick.

The gimmick Hosker had some believe was that the dog was a world beater,at the time the Dales where resplendant with bunnys and any dog that saw residence was going to come to grips with them,i had a terrier that caught 11 in reed beds above Airton,spud lacked pace and determination,fact,possibly why it jacked,another fact,saying that i witnessed better dogs than Spud jack on rabbits when they saw to many around Malham,they became that accustomed to them they finally began to ignore them.Again few on here have ever had a dog that saw so many rabbits day after day after week after week after month after month and year that the dog was sickened by them.Spud could hunt and mark as well as any,any dog that was in the same situation at the time,he was a cart horse that struggled to catch if it left its seat and opened its legs,it caught the odd hare from its seat and never caught one that jumped up 30 yds before it,rabbits included.Hosker portrayed it in a different illumination and was averse to mentioning Spuds poorer traits,it owned may.

Did you see Spud work or just what others were saying. Genuine question as i had a pup off spud and it had plenty of drive.

Did you see Spud work or just what others were saying. Genuine question as i had a pup off spud and it had plenty of drive.

Went out with Spud and owner twice,as i said before the dog could use its nose and mark with distinction,it ran and caught with far less distinction.I told G what i thought of the dog when he wanted to cover a bitch i owned,after that he took issue and became a tad silly.

• Like 1

Went out with Spud and owner twice,as i said before the dog could use its nose and mark with distinction,it ran and caught with far less distinction.I told G what i thought of the dog when he wanted to cover a bitch i owned,after that he took issue and became a tad

silly.

Thanks for reply.

Went out with Spud and owner twice,as i said before the dog could use its nose and mark with distinction,it ran and caught with far less distinction.I told G what i thought of the dog when he wanted to cover a bitch i owned,after that he took issue and became a tad

silly.

Thanks for reply.

How did you like the pup LC?

Atb