Handstand Pushups

Go to solution Solved by gnasher16,

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I used to do handstand push ups I always got a bleeding nose .......                                         My knob used to roll down and smack me in the nose ........

Wide grip is chest....close grip is predominantly a triceps exercise.   Why anybody with access to a barbell would f**k about doing hand stand press ups is beyond me its a prison cell exercise.

What an idiot !.......its a rounded cast metal thing that makes a ding - a - ling noise kept in a public house used to announce that its time to go home !   Some people just havent lived !

Would it be rude to ask why you dont have access to any equipment whatsoever ?.....if your about do get banged up all nicks have gyms :D ....besides which you must have access to at least a pillowcase theres no end of exercises you can do with a pillowcase....2 all the better ;)

In all seriousness ive seen more people injure themself with bodyweight exercises than free weights particularly bodyweight shoulder exercises which are renowned for rotator cuff injuries as the objective is as much on balance as moving weight which is a dangerous combination at the best of times.....im not a fan of bodyweight exercises full stop Socks refers to training bands and a lot of people use them to get around injuries personally i would rather use them than pure bodyweight as its far easier to focus on your contraction with actual real resistance than trying to create your own resistance with pike circles or lying iron cross type exercises for example.

I have to irregularly stay away from home for up to a month at a time with work. During this time I have a room and my place of work and nothing inbetween. I can only take what I can fit in my backpack so free weights are out. I might look into the rubber straps, that socks mentioned. I just feel like I need to be getting as comprehensive a workout as possible with very little gear.

What can I do with a pillowcase?

• Solution

Put weight in it for a start......get the right range of movement and the right focus and you dont need to be shifting huge amounts of weight around to promote muscle growth.

The bands are ok though you,ll get a decent little shoulder workout with them if you are inventive.

• Like 1

Put weight in it for a start......get the right range of movement and the right focus and you dont need to be shifting huge amounts of weight around to promote muscle growth.

The bands are ok though you,ll get a decent little shoulder workout with them if you are inventive.

Okay I see. Thanks for the advice. I am going to look Into the bands and perhaps get a bit more inventive.

Any advice for stairs pal other than keep going haha, I'm getting into this fitness malarkey but not into weights or nowt so I do run up stairs and use bag and do body weight excersozes, I only do stairs as it's convenient but would like to know more about doing it

You need plenty of them, flat stair wells , car parks or office blocks etc. I always used to alternate flights, say three steps at a time then single steps and if the stair case went clockwise, I'd spin anti clock wise at every revolution to combat dizziness and to use the muscles on the other side of my body. Pump your arms hard, as much as your legs. I last did it in a 11 storey block with 2 flights of stairs per floor. I used to run to the top, jog down and do 50 varied sit ups. I used to do 3 sets :icon_eek: then I'd be blowing my lungs out like bubble gum.

That, the bag, 3 varied width sets of 15 pull ups and 3 sets of 15-20 dips. I did the bag most days and a full work 2-3 times a week. With sets of 50 push ups and handstand push ups when ever I was in the mood :D .

At the time I used a pushbike, went yoga once a week and flew up to 5 large Flexi-foil kites whenever the weather was suitable :laugh:.

I only had two dogs at the time!

Any advice for stairs pal other than keep going haha, I'm getting into this fitness malarkey but not into weights or nowt so I do run up stairs and use bag and do body weight excersozes, I only do stairs as it's convenient but would like to know more about doing it

You need plenty of them, flat stair wells , car parks or office blocks etc. I always used to alternate flights, say three steps at a time then single steps and if the stair case went clockwise, I'd spin anti clock wise at every revolution to combat dizziness and to use the muscles on the other side of my body. Pump your arms hard, as much as your legs. I last did it in a 11 storey block with 2 flights of stairs per floor. I used to run to the top, jog down and do 50 varied sit ups. I used to do 3 sets :icon_eek: then I'd be blowing my lungs out like bubble gum.

That, the bag, 3 varied width sets of 15 pull ups and 3 sets of 15-20 dips. I did the bag most days and a full work 2-3 times a week. With sets of 50 push ups and handstand push ups when ever I was in the mood :D .

At the time I used a pushbike, went yoga once a week and flew up to 5 large Flexi-foil kites whenever the weather was suitable :laugh:.

Is the the stair work not bad for your knees lee?

...they look good thats all......unless you are drilling your head through the floor your shoulders are not even being worked your triceps are doing all the work its like pressing a barbell overhead but only lowering it to the top of your head !

Thing is bar bells aren't convenient (in fact I didn't own one) or they're not with you all the time and you can't say they don't do anything, they're difficult.

I have never joined a gym, went a fair few times, couldn't get my head round the body building thing or some of the people there. My brother was proper into it and was married to Britians strongest women for a couple of years :icon_eek: .

Yep, my knees are not good. But nor is my shoulders, back, hands. Played rugby for years and had a fair few damaging incidents over the years.

Yep, my knees are not good. But nor is my shoulders, back, hands. Played rugby for years and had a fair few damaging incidents over the years.

My knees are a hell of a lot better now, but not great at times.........but I think the time that most fcuked my knees was on blocks of flats as hod carrier/banksman, up & down stairwells all day! I may of been quite fit & lean at the time, but I'm not sure the side effects were worth it...haha