Back Fill Your Digs!!!!

What do people think of bridging the tunnel with sticks before backfilling, its a pet hate of mine. as soon as the ground gets saturated it collapses and makes a mess.

bitch killed last year due to someone bridging. It collapsed on her . BIG no no for me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had a day out with a good mate of mine on some good permission of mine. I had three big rangy earths in mind and it was time for a couple of young dogs from the kennels to up the anti and put in a shi

Bridging, Unless metal or flagstone,even then only when a drain has been breached   Creates two hazards. One for the dog.. The other Cattle.. Big an heavy, will test any backfill. And will fin

Cant get my head around the not backfilling tbh .My objective is to leave it as if nothing happened even it means finding a few leaves .

Posted Images

What do people think of bridging the tunnel with sticks before backfilling, its a pet hate of mine. as soon as the ground gets saturated it collapses and makes a mess.

Why bridge a stopend ,dont get it .
Im trying to explain this to my mate for years fd, he still wont listen ffs lol
whats his reasoning for it? Its dangerous for dogs and quarry and it leaves a mess in the field when it collapses and when you dig down theres a load of sticks in the way. I cant think of a benefit.

Bridging, Unless metal or flagstone,even then only when a drain has been breached

Creates two hazards.

One for the dog..

The other Cattle.. Big an heavy, will test any backfill.

And will find a void.

The only plus? Is it takes less to backfill, which in my mind is bloody lazy.

• Like 4

I always try and get 8 inches at least above...9 times out of ten means taking spoil from elsewhere even then after being stamped and mounted up 8 inches they still sink to either level or just under. Just chucking in what came out is lazy if you ask me..

Not doing anything at all is beyond a joke!

• Like 2

And if I'm on someone else's ground....Someone usually has to say 'that's enough' before I stop chucking it back in and more. Can't handle the ones who say that's enough after a few spoonfuls have gone in but then your hands are tied I suppose.

• Like 2

its not a new prob lads,last 40 year I,ve seen drains broke and left in a mess,repaired them even when I was without terriers, only to find them in same state a week or two later,good spots ruined,theres always been idiots around the dog game, no respect for nothing . :cray: hopefully they will move on to another pastime.

• Like 3

as somebody said,backfilling can be done next day if the need arises,when no dogs ect are present, there is no excuse for leaveing open,i know this sounds dramatic but I have seen some that were a danger to farm stock or children ,no saine person would leave such a mess,

In some sensitive areas ive took the turf off in 4 neat squares and put them aside. Once i had backfilled i put the turf back over it and you cant even tell ive been there

That's all well and good untill some lazy twat throws the soil over them lol. But yeah thas a way iv used of backfilling only still it stands out a bit being higher than the rest of the ground