Shock Collar

Using an e-collar is a lot more than just strapping it on a dog and pushing a button. It can be a great tool, or an abused tool, but it is a tool, just like the many other items we use to train a dog. Without full understanding of the many training, and conditioning techniques, and full commitment to learning these and which will work or you, I'd say away.

Having used a collar in the past I seldom use it now. I think the lessons can be better cemented in using more traditional training.

• Like 4

ive seen it go wrong the one day, I was beating on this shoot , where one of the guns labs was running in on the next peg birds. so the owner of the lab give it a wack with the collar , fook me the dog went like a rocket out of the field , and went across a road, the dog could have been killed and caused a accident . we got the dog back after 20 mins, the owner was still angry I told him if he hits the dog or the collar again you can get the dog back your self, he left the dog in his motor rest of the day :yes:

• Like 2

Just interested to hear people's views on using a shock collar to inforce the stop whistle?

I use it for most corrections after the dog knows what is expected of him. It's the most effective tool when used properly and not so effect when miss-used. (Like Flairball said above)

• Like 1

Can be an excellent tool if used correctly.The dog must first be trained therefore understanding the commands.Some people seem to think that you can strap it on and use it to train the dog this is not correct.However when used properly they are a great asset to correct a distant dog at the precise time that it breaks the rules.Also people get the idea that you are blasting the dog with a high voltage electric current when it misbehaves,but when the device is set at the correct level it just gives the dog a gentle tap on the should as a reminder.

• Like 1

ive never had any reason to use one with my dogs but I agree with these lads that it is a very useful gadget if used properly - my mate has a cocker that is a real handful [owners fault] but I had to step in last week and chastise him for using excessive force on dog -even though 2 seconds later the dog done wrong again - I think this head strong dog might benefit from e collar for its own good

Never sure on this one. We have a lab that is a b*****d for chasing and hunting up. He just wants to find something and doesn't listen when he gets 'in the zone'.

We have gone back to basics and he is excellent all the time and then just has a brain fart chasing a hare on the moor etc. Cant decide if a whack from a collar would sort him out?

The reality of an e collar is that the dog should love it and becomes a part of going out and hunting,

A correction should lead to some other element of hunting , something along the lines of a recall to be sent in another direction, or a titbit or treat or some other expression of energy through interaction with you

As already said the dog should already know the exercise when the e collar correction is applied that way the dog can then detour in the same state of mind rather than blasting it to a full stop

The way the canine mind processes a correction followed by a positive is completely different than the way it processes it as a complete full stop

The easiest way of looking at it, it's like going from 5th gear in the car straight into 1st , whereas the correction given and the dog understanding what it's meant for is more like changing down a gear to turn a corner

• Like 1

Out of curiosity Dawn and I have never seen or used one my self as I live in wales anyway. But if they have a range of settings and you use the lowest which I gather is just a tingle and as said allows you to give the dog a tap on the shoulder at an appropriate time is that not a good thing ? especially with problem dogs and sheep ? better than having to catch the dog and give it a clout which you can't time as well and not ideal anyway. Yes maybe the dog shouldn't be in that position in the first place. But some are inclined that way it seems

It's also a good tool to help with dogs that have developed problems and are now on the dog dealing circuit. And if it helps an animal get a forever home and stops people from exploiting them, great.

I've seen lots of pet owners chastise animals unfairly and vigorously with no e-collar, the only difference is you can do it at distance with a e-collar, which can help sort out the problem quickly.