Longnetting A Dry Stone Wall.

smithie

Mr Wilks and i met about 10pm and got straight on with the first drop, wind was right but the flat field on the bottom was watter logged so did not expect much, we run a 100yd of net up a bank on the side across the top and up to the road. the plan was to funnel all the rabbits in to the net. but the net was empty.

we was not too suprised.

we moved along and had the wind on our back going to the next drop. we was to put a net in a horse shoe shape against a dry stone wall.. the wall was probably 300yds long and 4 to 7 ft tall in places but i had seen rabbits going over a part were it had been rebuilt.

there was a 5 yd section rebuilt but not as high as the wall at either side of it. i had suggested we put a net in a horse shoe shape and im sure Mr Wilks was thinking i was a loon ball but he agreed and humored me.

net went out quick enough even with extra pegs i put in as it was on a slopping bank, then we went to the end to run a 50.. field had watter stood on it at this end so no net went out,, all our hopes was pinned on a wall :laugh:

to be honest the net was half way down the field and due to the shape it was a mare to walk in and it was not a precise thing more or a walk were you want.

we walked fast and tried to look over the wall for the tell tale of the white in the net but we seen nothing :huh: ..

we walked the filed back and clambered the wall at the end and on getting back to the net we had 2 :laugh:

got say it was the first time we had done this but i was always hopeful. normally the nets are in front of a warren or in a gateway

smithie...

• Like 7

Mr Wilks and i met about 10pm and got straight on with the first drop, wind was right but the flat field on the bottom was watter logged so did not expect much, we run a 100yd of net up a bank on the side across the top and up to the road. the plan was to funnel all the rabbits in to the net. but the net was empty.

we was not too suprised.

we moved along and had the wind on our back going to the next drop. we was to put a net in a horse shoe shape against a dry stone wall.. the wall was probably 300yds long and 4 to 7 ft tall in places but i had seen rabbits going over a part were it had been rebuilt.

there was a 5 yd section rebuilt but not as high as the wall at either side of it. i had suggested we put a net in a horse shoe shape and im sure Mr Wilks was thinking i was a loon ball but he agreed and humored me.

net went out quick enough even with extra pegs i put in as it was on a slopping bank, then we went to the end to run a 50.. field had watter stood on it at this end so no net went out,, all our hopes was pinned on a wall :laugh:

to be honest the net was half way down the field and due to the shape it was a mare to walk in and it was not a precise thing more or a walk were you want.

we walked fast and tried to look over the wall for the tell tale of the white in the net but we seen nothing :huh: ..

we walked the filed back and clambered the wall at the end and on getting back to the net we had 2 :laugh:

got say it was the first time we had done this but i was always hopeful. normally the nets are in front of a warren or in a gateway

smithie...

Good write up once again. It often pays to think outside the box, and your previous observations paid a dividend.

TC

• Like 1

i got some to go at yet but im not bothered for having the boot full of fur. im happy to get out with a a friend and take what ever numbers i get..

saying that if i was offered land rammed with bunnys im sure i would take it lol

• Like 2