Air In A Solid Fuel Heating System.

Hi all.

Would anyone know how to bleed the air out of a solid fuel back boiler.

Its a super Stanley 80 range. It was working fine till we put in a new kitchen a few weeks ago and had to shut off the water. Since then air seems to have gotten into the system. Any help would be much appreciated.

Atb j.

I'm no plumer but i would first give more information ie what's it heating and how many rads , I'd start by opening the furthest one away and get it firing at full whack to force it out it takes ages so be patient. Is it a direct feed ? It may need to be tracked if pipe is on show follow it to find the cold bit and open the nearest rad . Remember next time you have to turn off to re-fill very slowly hope it's helpful atb Mark

Hi mark.

Its a super 80 Stanley range.

It's tank fed. Burns soild fuel.

I have 7 double rads working off it.

Its just when I put down a fire in the morning she staryts to bubble up.

Then there is a sudden surge of water out the over flow under the eve.

After that she seems to be fine.

Its just up to that point I would be worried that I would blow the boiler.

Might have to get the Plummer in.

Atb j.

If it is blowing hot water out of the overflow it simply means it`s an open system. It`s not an air lock.

The back boiler works when a flow of water is set up to take cold water down to the fire, and hot water back up to the tank.

This is usually a natural "convection" flow , as a pump might fail,

What happens is when the fire gets really hot and the cold water cant flow down fast enough, the water in the back boiler "boils" and eventually the pressure builds up to the point that it shoots up through the pipes and rattles the pipes and blows out of the overflow of the open system.

You should never need to bleed the boiler jacket as the cold intake should be at the bottom and the hot outlet at the top so any air will rise and go up with the hot water.