Grouse Shooting In The Us.

Anyone here ever had the opportunity to do any wingshooting in the US? Other than other US based posters, of course.

Living in the north east of the States we have a good population of ruffed grouse, which I am passionate about. We also get some pretty good flights of woodcock in the mid-fall. My buddies and I routinely travel the north east to hunt grouse. It's pretty tough, and one feels thoroughly beat up at the end of a good day. A mixed bag generally consists of grouse, woodcock, and hare, but sometimes we end up with a rabbit, pheasant, or some type of waterfowl, but that's pretty rare. At the end of the day the bag is usually not very big, but seldom disappointing. If you are one who doesn't mind leg cramps, soreness, falling down, bleeding, and getting poked in the eye with a stick at least once a day, I recommend giving it a try if given the opportunity.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's US shooting experiences.

image_zpshhqtx7j5.jpeg

image_zpst9ig1xex.jpeg

image_zpstjah5rh1.jpeg

image_zpsgfk1pkwo.jpeg

image_zps6ovvrsow.jpeg

4749cb89.jpg

• Like 2

?.....what else do you hunt over there?

I will get out after waterfowl from time to time. We actually have good fowling around here, but most of it is over big water, and I don't have a Lab. Plus, I'm not a morning person. Most ducks killed here are shot at first light. Unlike over there, no hunting after sunset.

I've also shot pheasant and chukar (partridge), but we don't have a wild population of either around here, so they are put and take. More often or not, if I've killed any of these species it's been a training day for the dog. I belong to a birddog club, and we raise our own birds for dog training. That said, next week I'm going to liberate a few and just hunt them up. Want to get some game shooting in before the heavy snow falls.

Not feathered, but I get after deer occasionally. I don't really enjoy hunting deer, but I sure enjoy eating venison.

• Like 1