Anyone have one or built one? any pit falls fellas?.....other than the obvious of an in law moving in?!

Thinking about it, maybe building a doubke skinned insulated "lawnmower shed' getting signed off by building regs then adapting, this was due to me reading a granny flat or annexe or seperate occupiable building is subject to individual council tax now wether it is occupied or not....therefore an extra 600-800quid a year bill for what?! We live down a dirt track and arent over looked by anyone so no one would know the use of the building anyway.

The other option was getting a static caravan and sticking that in garden....any rules on that I should be aware of? To me its in storage and every now and then someone kips in it????

• Like 1

Anyone have one or built one? any pit falls fellas?.....other than the obvious of an in law moving in?!

Thinking about it, maybe building a doubke skinned insulated "lawnmower shed' getting signed off by building regs then adapting, this was due to me reading a granny flat or annexe or seperate occupiable building is subject to individual council tax now wether it is occupied or not....therefore an extra 600-800quid a year bill for what?! We live down a dirt track and arent over looked by anyone so no one would know the use of the building anyway.

The other option was getting a static caravan and sticking that in garden....any rules on that I should be aware of? To me its in storage and every now and then someone kips in it????

What about a wooden house with electricity, stove, essentials and cooking facilities. It would be away from the house if your a screamer.

You could have a static caravan or build a log cabin as long as it's a certain size can't remember off top of my head but if you search caravan act there should be plenty of info and I'm sure its not classed at a separate residence so no council tax

I do lots of stuff like that, shepherds huts, glamping accommodation, barn conversions etc. I've just finished a tiny house based on a 24' x 8' flatbed trailer which i'm living in now and loving it. You are on the right track with getting planning for a storage building, building a shell to regs and getting it signed off then doing a conversion a few months later once everyone has forgotten about it. Just be sure to get the insulation and ventilation right, it'll save a lot of aggro in the future. ATB

• Like 5

As soon as you mention double skin ,building control will be on it to the letter no matter the size .Far better to build what can add value and to avoid the added cost of tax just put off getting it signed off for the duration you live there .Temp buildings are only ever that and make poor dwellings tbh .

Call it a "prayer room" the muzz do it round here and the whole house becomes council tax free, no joke, they just don't pay it :whistling:

• 4 months later...

I do lots of stuff like that, shepherds huts, glamping accommodation, barn conversions etc. I've just finished a tiny house based on a 24' x 8' flatbed trailer which i'm living in now and loving it. You are on the right track with getting planning for a storage building, building a shell to regs and getting it signed off then doing a conversion a few months later once everyone has forgotten about it. Just be sure to get the insulation and ventilation right, it'll save a lot of aggro in the future. ATB

That sounds awesome mate have you got any pics please?