Mystery Pest

I was called to a large modern house set on the edge of the moors. The owner had been hearing noises in the loft.when I entered the loft space I found what looked like ferret droppings covering one half. There was small patches of feathers in two areas, one was a blue tit, on a young starling, no body just feathers.

The owner had that week erected a camera in the loft and he had got one picture of our mystery beast.

The house had no noticeable entry point for the animal, no Overhanging trees, sheer walls.

post-31956-0-21794400-1450385280.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Obviously the new pic is a stoat,,,   But the first pic ,, I would have said mink,,,not a ferret as there not much at climbing,,,pine marten well maybe as Eddie said pics can be deceptive ,,,but the

Is it a polecat?

I would very much doubt that the animal is a Pine marten. I would set two catch alive cage traps. One baited with sardines, the other with a fresh rabbit leg. You'll soon know what it is........  

Posted Images

In France the things you describe would be caused by a stone marten, sometimes called a beech marten. They move into houses in October from living in the woods and become semi dormant. The key thing with them is that they romp about at night and sleep during the day.

However, that photo looks more like a cat.

Well....iv keepered on a nearby Moor, run large numbers of tunnels nearby and was brought up in the area and iv never had a wild polecat.

....so what would your next step be? :-)

Edited by DIDO.1

The martens climb up drain pipes and clamber into the loft space under the eaves so drain pipes are a good place to look for signs. As for dealing with it; cage traps are used over here, but you could also consider a large spring trap given that there would be no innocent victims.

I would very much doubt that the animal is a Pine marten.

I would set two catch alive cage traps. One baited with sardines, the other with a fresh rabbit leg. You'll soon know what it is........

The animal might just be entering through a grate on ground level and climbing up the gap in the walls. :victory:

• Like 1

The drain pipes were plastic and fitted tight to the wall.

This thing had been in there a while, it had been hunting and thriving.

I didn't want to set traps in the loft and spook it so I placed fenn traps in the stone walls around the garden.

When I returned the home owner had cleaned the droppings up in the loft and no sign of the culprit has been heard for 12 months.....

I didn't want to set traps in the loft and spook it so I placed fenn traps in the stone walls around the garden.

When I returned the home owner had cleaned the droppings up in the loft and no sign of the culprit has been heard for 12 months.....

12 months ??? .......

What time scale are we talking about? Month when it was first detected and left?