Foreshore

Probably going to get shot down in flames, but for what it's worth, If you can gain access to the foreshore without trespass then you are OK. Ain't sure if that's UK but certainly is in Scotland.. I believe by Royal Decree. Now how you gain access is another matter, but a friend and I did it by using a local burn on the Solway. We got right out and did it legally. (I believe). There are one or two legal eagles on here so perhaps they might help.

• Like 1

Had a little bit of an ask around. No one can own the ocean as it is owned by the Crown. Waterways leading into the ocean (seas) cannot be owned. Highways and byways are controlled by local councils or unmade roads generally owned by farmers etc as right of way. Therefore, as I mentioned earlier, it would appear that if you gain access to the foreshore by way of non trespass then you are OK. However. What you do when you get there is another matter. There are seasons for every wildfowl and obviously non shootable quarry. I'd be very interested to hear from the men that know.

In England you used to be able to fowl below the mean high tide line.

I believe there was an old saying that you could shoot wherever you could float.

That is no longer the case. The right to do that was lost a long time ago.

Just to be pedantic Not all foreshore and river bed is owned by the crown, there are some places where it is in private ownership or in the ownership of trusts.

Yeah. In my great grandfathers day they could shoot where they floated. Wildfowling was always a sport for the common man.

To answer the original question. Yes. Anyone can shoot the foreshore in the UK. But to do so legally they have to hold a valid shotgun certificate have the right of access and have permission of the owner of the foreshore or the owner of the sporting or shooting rights on the foreshore.

That is why most wildfowling is done through wildfowling clubs, the club pays the landowner or the crown or whoever holds the rights for the privelage of shooting over parts of the foreshore and passes the right on to paying members of the club.

To be honest all of this is from memory and out of my head so I am not going to stand by it for accuracy. However if I get chance I will do a bit of research and find the proper answer if I can.

Here we are.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coastal/wildfowling/

From the crown estate website.

Basically is Scotland wildfowling on the crown foreshore is a public right.

In England and Wales the crown leases the right to fowl on crown foreshore to wildfowling clubs.

So. If you live in England or Wales you must be a member of a wildfowling Club to legally wildfowl. Or have access and permission on privately owned foreshore.

Does that answer your question?

Here we are.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/coastal/wildfowling/

From the crown estate website.

Basically is Scotland wildfowling on the crown foreshore is a public right.

In England and Wales the crown leases the right to fowl on crown foreshore to wildfowling clubs.

So. If you live in England or Wales you must be a member of a wildfowling Club to legally wildfowl. Or have access and permission on privately owned foreshore.

Does that answer your question?

That's the spirit me lad. you know what? ? in the right company in either form you would thoroughly enjoy yourself. Lying in that dyke or sitting in a bale hide really isn't so different. I must admit to enjoying both but am torn towards the Solway. Also, it's not just the place but the people in Newton Stewart who take you in their arms and enjoy your company. Many's the time when we've cleared the snow from digs to pub and beyond. There's a lot more to shooting than killing as I'm sure you agree.

• Like 2