Birmingham Roller Pigeons

I was wondering if any can help me out. I got my first kit of rollers this august, some birds 3 month 4 month and 2 just 2.5 month, plus the pair most were bred from which were approx 2 years. Bearing in mind id never even held a pigeon before iv come in totally green but had a bit help here n there.

Now obviously when i got them i settled them for 3 weeks before letting them out and the old pair immediately flew away but 19 came back which isn bad but i wish id put the old pair separate but hindsight...... Any way i had 19 settled birds they were flying tight but slow and no rolls, well i thought its gonna take time and flew them every night fed just wheat enought to keep then up for half hour. By September 3 had began doing maybe 4-5 rolls only maybe 2 yards. Now dark nights so im limited to weekend flys but still not getting much rolling. Nearly all are doing singles or tripples but Will this improve once winter is over and i get more time into them or have i bought duds?

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noticed a big improvement this last couple weeks. Got them on just wheat now and managing to get them out for more regular flys. Im still not keen to breed off them as yet but i am looking at getting

I was wondering if any can help me out. I got my first kit of rollers this august, some birds 3 month 4 month and 2 just 2.5 month, plus the pair most were bred from which were approx 2 years. Bearing

some top roller men teeside way too

I bought my first Rolers 2 months ago (ish) , the bloke I got them off let me watch them fly and let me chose wich birds I wanted , this way i know they role , he told me the first pigeons he bought 20 years ago did not role because the bloke had sold him rubbish, so my advice will be see I'm flying before you buy ,

I have not let my birds out yet waiting till I get some young off them can't wait till spring ,

I was wondering if any can help me out. I got my first kit of rollers this august, some birds 3 month 4 month and 2 just 2.5 month, plus the pair most were bred from which were approx 2 years. Bearing in mind id never even held a pigeon before iv come in totally green but had a bit help here n there.

Now obviously when i got them i settled them for 3 weeks before letting them out and the old pair immediately flew away but 19 came back which isn bad but i wish id put the old pair separate but hindsight...... Any way i had 19 settled birds they were flying tight but slow and no rolls, well i thought its gonna take time and flew them every night fed just wheat enought to keep then up for half hour. By September 3 had began doing maybe 4-5 rolls only maybe 2 yards. Now dark nights so im limited to weekend flys but still not getting much rolling. Nearly all are doing singles or tripples but Will this improve once winter is over and i get more time into them or have i bought duds?

try pm gnipper mate think he keeps rollers

Right il try him. I wanted un flown younguns see and the birds they were bred off were meant to be good things so thought id be ok. Dont get me wrong they were gradually improving before the winter n im still confident il get a few good uns i can breed off but im just looking for a bit guidance on what i need to be seeing in birds of this age

Not kept rollers before, but I've kept and raced pigeons for 15 years also kept tumblers. I'd say see what there like come spring time They'll be a bit older and plenty of time to get them out. Nice blue sky and a bit of sun they'll come good .I'm sure as a rule young rollers don't fly high . like I said dont expect youngsters to start doing the business straight away.

Good luck with them.?

Edited by stevo79

One pair they are bred off are morris hole the other im not sure of but the fella travelled a good distance and was assured they were quality stock. They were bred last spring/summer. I think i might be being a bit impatient what with how little regular flying time they have had then the moult and now hardly getting out over winter?