I visited the Solway for twenty years and each year saw a decline in the numbers. I seriously believe it was due to overshooting. The last ten years I have gone there on my annual pilgimage as a bird watcher and last year particularly I saw a marked increase in pink numbers. Just behind the Powfoot Hotel & Golf course on the road to Newbie the fields were covered in them. However, its still nothing like the numbers we saw in the 80's & 90's. Perhaps those who live around the area have different observations.

• Like 1

I've been going there since I was 12, (23 years now) and in early November I seen as many pinks as I've seen there. They didn't hang about long and soon moved.

I've seen very few the last few visits until Tuesday night an had 3 big scenes over the top of me but to high, so went back up last night but with the winds been 60mph and all the water in the fields they must of roosted inland because all I had over me was some barnacle. They were all most walking in it was that windy!

Hopefully we get some harder weather further north to push some down because it's been a poor season for me so far.

I visited the Solway for twenty years and each year saw a decline in the numbers. I seriously believe it was due to overshooting. The last ten years I have gone there on my annual pilgimage as a bird watcher and last year particularly I saw a marked increase in pink numbers. Just behind the Powfoot Hotel & Golf course on the road to Newbie the fields were covered in them. However, its still nothing like the numbers we saw in the 80's & 90's. Perhaps those who live around the area have different observations.

Have you seen the Little Egrets just up from Powfoot? How long have they been there?

we have started seeing some big skeins inland .it has been very slow around here so hopefully we be on them at the weekend .hope you have some good luck bud

Cheers Les and you go easy with them! Don't won't you upsetting people! ?

Edited by cock grouse
  • Like 1

not much round the Forth either, had a bit of success up at Findhorn on the firth, but down home there is not as many around as normal. Hopefully the weather will toughen up soon and we will get some numbers.