ive always done mine the next day, either caught from the day, or lamped . so on average the rabbits have stayed in there jackets 12-16 hours before I start them. But to me there always far easier to skin as soon as they are caught, the fur comes off very easy , so job a lot quicker . just wondered what other people prefer to do , when caught that day or next day .?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Little aside. Had 11 rabbits all dressed in the fridge but had left them maybe slightly too long. Took them indoors much to her ire and decided to cut out the fillets. Made a sauce with onion, red chi

350g plain, 225g butter, pinch of salt . Add to blender or mix by hand to bread crumb. Add beaten egg and few table spoon of water to bring together then pop in fridge for bit. We use it for mince pie

On a seperate note what do u lot do with the guts when u do it at home? When ive done it i end up with a stinking bag hanging round till blak bag day which could be up to 13 days away

Any animal is much easier skinned while warm but not usually practical to skin and then put them in the back of a car with dogs and lamps etc. plus the fact that a lot of lads once back at the vehicle need to get moving ASAP.

But one thing is for sure, rabbits are a lot less smellier when paunched straight away and I suppose if you're lucky enough to be carrying several it lightens the load.

As already said skin comes off easier when warm but who wants to be skinning rabbits at 4 am ? Then if there for the ferrets I just gut them when I get up the next day and it's easier to skin them cutting round the centre and pulling to head and feet

• Like 1

As said much easier when here still warm but who wants to be skinning rabbits at 4 am . I gut them the next morning when I get up and if they are to be skinned just cut round the middle and pull the skin towards the head and back legs

gut them straight away,skin them same day/night never get enough to worry about how long its gonna take me

same here

done dozen 4am , not to bad skin of quite quick, the butcher wants skinned+ gutted and fresh. so you want get them much fresher than 12 hours from caught lol , he only wanted a few so everybody was happy.

gd show, some want them skinned others dont had acustome rwanting skins to make things with , , as for tanning makes a good warm lining for the cold north , i gut them after a days ferreting or a nites lamping ,never leave them long ,,a warm nite and in morning, can go green round the bellies ,

Edited by fluff

Same here Moxy always say we will do them tonight when we get in but time you get in have a cuppa in a comfy chair you go feck it im away to bed I don't want to be upsetting the neighbours gutting them just now

I find its easier putting the table off the patio set in the garage put the box of rabbits on it and gut them on the table and putting the waste into a black bag on one of the seats while my son puts the gear away and batterys on charge then out with the power washer and wash everything down