Dogs First Credit ....

Out early again this morning , a steady ssw breeze to work against allowed me to stalk a patch of scrub and birch were the deer like to get ,getting in there without being seen or scented is another story but every thing this morning was in my favour , windy and wet underfoot we left the truck and quad well out of the way and set off .

The new lab who has been getting steadier every outing was scenting from the first step , as I glassed ahead she was rock solid , head up and scenting the air , for the first time she really looked like she knew what was wanted ..twenty minutes in and she stopped mid stride and just starred ahead , a bit like a pointer with her leg raised , I glassed in front but could'nt see any movement , she very slowly sat down head still looking in front. If that had been my old dog it would have been the signal for sure , as a precaution I raised the rifle on to the sticks , five minutes later a small group of Doe's and youngster came into view browsing as they picked their way through the scrub , at about 70m a yearling took the full force of the 6.5 and dropped ...the rest bolted , waiting a few minutes to make sure she wasn't going to get up we walked over ..stone dead ...

Absolutely made up with the dog , at just a shade over two it seems over the last few weeks all the little cogs have lined up and she knows what we are doing and what she can do to help an old boy get the job done .

We stalked on for another hour but with the rain starting to really fall we returned to get the quad , picked up and on our way back another youngster ambled out from cover , stood to see what the fuss was long enough for me to stop , slip the rifle of my neck , chamber a round aim and squeeze , he dropped as well ...loaded on we all set off for the gralloching tree ..

post-81636-0-32409500-1449494406_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

If ever a dog was smiling in a picture it's that! What an asset to have along.

I had a rather more negative experience with a dog on Saturday, I had an 8 point sika stag bang to rights in the scope and some fecking dog who's owner was off the footpath chased it away just as I was about to put one in it.

Edited by Yokel Matt

She wasn't smiling as much as me Born ! ....hopefully she carries on improving ..managed another 2 this afternoon , had a couple of mates out but by the time I got them sorted and in position I couldn't get in my seat without spooking some that were already out .Ended up laying down on a very wet grassy bank until they wandered up the field into range , got a doe first , then knocked a pricket over that came to see what was what ...bet you were pleased with the dog walker ...

Sounds like you had all the luck then!

The dog walker was politely reminded where the footpath was although he didn't half jump when I shouted from the high-seat! I'm waiting to hear back on the permission being extended to the surrounding 150 acres of woodland plus the adjoining farm so if holding my tongue and losing decent stag is the price I pay it'll still be worth it as you never know who your talking to! He was a very good stag though!

Sounds like you had all the luck then!

The dog walker was politely reminded where the footpath was although he didn't half jump when I shouted from the high-seat! I'm waiting to hear back on the permission being extended to the surrounding 150 acres of woodland plus the adjoining farm so if holding my tongue and losing decent stag is the price I pay it'll still be worth it as you never know who your talking to! He was a very good stag though

Fingers crossed on that Matt ..chances are the stag will end up back in the cross hairs at some time as well...

Phil ,I have trained her to sit every time we see deer regardless of wether or not I take a shot ,bit like training a spaniel to hup on a flush , so it's just a progression of that .Did the same with the old lab , trained her to sit and after just a couple of outings she would sit as soon as she scented them and she was very seldom wrong , if she got a scent her backside went down and she wouldn't budge , got me a few deer every season that without her I wouldn't have got .The new dog seems to have taken longer but in reality she is doing it at the same age as the old lab who was eighteen months old when I got her , I think it's a case of maturing into the job , the youngster still has a bit of pup in her so maybe she has more to come ..happy days !