Killing Issue

In me of some urgent help.

Got an 18 month BullGreyCollieGrey bitch

Was perfect at retrieving when I first got her then she got in the habit of eating them once caught. After shouting at her for doing this she now catches then drops them to return. Resulting in a field full of lost game. Any advice? Thanks

I was running single handed then one night my mates dog slipped her collar that's when issues started but always single handed other then that 1 occasion

OK, I thought as much, i had the same problem many years ago, dog retreaved Hares to hand, single handed or with a mates dog, then ran it with a dog i didnt know once, yes once, that ate the catch, my dog started doing the same, i did plenty of retreave training and holding, letting him carry the catch for a while before i took it off him, it cured him, it took 2 or 3 weeks, i didnt run him with strange dogs after that and all remained well, in fact he was the best dog i,v ever had, hope you get it sorted.

Edited by buster gonads
  • Like 1

You need to work on your delivery... It seems like a trust issue. First of all you need to have a perfect recall or else you have no change of getting a retrieve. Try this sit the dog down in front of you and encourage her to take a rabbit in her mouth and hold it, when she is holding it lots of praise and then take it from her... Repeat a few times each day. Once you got this down give her a few throws of a rabbit once she brings it back loads of praise while she holds it. Start to associate holding a rabbit in her mouth with something good. Then once you have some success here take her back out and see how she goes in the field... Used it for gundogs who are reluctant retrievers think it could work for you as it sounds like the dog thinks bringing rabbit back to get angry...

In me of some urgent help.

Got an 18 month BullGreyCollieGrey bitch

Was perfect at retrieving when I first got her then she got in the habit of eating them once caught. After shouting at her for doing this she now catches then drops them to return. Resulting in a field full of lost game. Any advice? Thanks

Only Stevie Wonder,he owns the best looking mutts ever bred,could fail to locate what the dogs dropped,go back to basic retrieval training then pop along to Specsavers,or hunt in smaller fields.