Lurchers Taking Woodcock

had awalk out the other night with the lurcher and lamp abit of moon about,not many rabbits about,but plenty of woodcock lying out and feeding on the waterlogged fields, any of you boys who have taken them on thelamp before will know that they lie tightalot of time like a rabbit,well with the lurcer i have now deer houndx i managed to nail 3.had quite a few lurchers over the years but only had one other that couldcatch them at night,he had a fair bit of saluki blood in him, any of your dogs taking them and what crosses are they,as i believe it takes good and clever dogs to do this,

• Like 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit slow......Oh well, maybe next time......

Because they're delicious, but to be fair to a great bird I'd rather give them a sporting chance. If a lurcher is catching them then there's a good chance they're just after coming in from their migr

I doubt that anyone sets out to purposely catch woodcock with their lurcher but it's nice to see some dogs doing the traditional fur and feather. Let's just call it a nice bonus if a woodcock is adde

Posted Images

Funny this should come up, had a walk with my youngest lad last sunday, walking down a path the little bitch seemed to get a scent in some bramble, then something exploded out of it, bitch made a half hearted grab at it, and then the lurcher had a go, but let go, feathers all over and it flew into my lads chest, didn't realise what it was until it hit him, but a Woodcock, it still managed to fly off. My dogs seem interested in their scent, but don't really try to grab them, never seen a dog take one tbh?

• Like 1

I've had one before that would take the odd one on the lamp, but the 15 month old pup I have at the minute catches them out of the rush and bog behind our place. No lamp, just hunts them up and comes scratching at the back door. It's one of the few things she wont eat if left to her own devices :blink:

About 4 years ago me and the eldest lad were walking on the edge of a wood and one of the dogs went for something in some light bramble but stopped before grabbing it, the other dogs piled in, but not one of them would hit it, 3 lurchers, a spaniel, 2 spaniel x's, turned out to be a Woodcock with a wing totally missing, sheared off clean as a whistle, but very much alive, there's some electricity wires running down the edge of the wood, so i'm guessing the Woodcock hit them and took the wing off? But none of the dogs would touch it, didn't want to know, and they're keen feckers on any normal stuff? Only thing i can think is they give off some strange scent dogs/maybe foxes don't like, being ground birds it seems to make sense, mine wont touch any corvid either, dead or alive?

Why would you want to catch Woodcock.

Because they're delicious, but to be fair to a great bird I'd rather give them a sporting chance.

If a lurcher is catching them then there's a good chance they're just after coming in from their migration and are weak. The full moon at the moment means they've more or less just landed.

I shoot them (when I'm lucky enough) and if any of you lads are lucky enough to get one in the bag thanks to your lurcher do yourself a favour and have him for your dinner, just give the head to your ferret.

• Like 5

Because they're delicious, but to be fair to a great bird I'd rather give them a sporting chance.

If a lurcher is catching them then there's a good chance they're just after coming in from their migration and are weak. The full moon at the moment means they've more or less just landed.

I shoot them (when I'm lucky enough) and if any of you lads are lucky enough to get one in the bag thanks to your lurcher do yourself a favour and have him for your dinner, just give the head to your ferret.

Strangely I always leave the head on, as traditions favours, when serving them roast for a number of people at dinner. But If just for myself, I spatchcock them. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Strangely I always leave the head on, as traditions favours, when serving them roast for a number of people at dinner. But If just for myself, I spatchcock them. :thumbs:

did i read some where the beak was traditionaly stuffed up the arse and they are cooked with the guts in or have i just made that up?

did i read some where the beak was traditionaly stuffed up the arse and they are cooked with the guts in or have i just made that up?

Guts in, then the head twisted with the beak speared below the rib cage and out through the other side just above its arse. Supposedly to stop it dropping its guts I'm told. I prefer to drop the bottom end of the guts out.

• Like 1