DEER CALLS.

Evenin' folks. Does anyone know if there is a call on the market that is specifically designed for calling muntjak or, If not specifically designed for Muntys is there a call that does work. Maybe they cannot be called I don't really know. Any advice would be welcome.

Evenin' folks. Does anyone know if there is a call on the market that is specifically designed for calling muntjak or, If not specifically designed for Muntys is there a call that does work. Maybe they cannot be called I don't really know. Any advice would be welcome.

Hello Magpie. I don't know of a specific call for Munties but the Buttelo call I use for roe has unintentionally brought many a muntjac to my rifle. I have also turned a passing muntie with a couple of squeaks from a Buttelo and brought him back. Hope this helps. Greengrass3

Magpie- as greengrass has said ,the buttalo will call in a munty ,at any time of year as opposed to late summer for the roe.You will need to be alert as they ,by there small size can be in and gone very fast .I have called them to within several metres using my voice and replicating the stacato bark of a randy munty calling a suitor .I have found ,and to the contrary of what ive read ,that both sexes call but the calls are very different.The buck is a dog like single bark at about 6 second intervals whereas the doe will bark higher pitch and randomly .Once a munty is called and shot ,make a note of the sex and the bark type as future barks heard can be answered accordingly .You need to get out and about at night to really hear the bark and seperate it from everyday noise .They can be heard out the back of me on some nights and the dogs ,if running free make straight for them!.The type of night seems to make no difference weather wise and i think they bark as and when the mood takes them .Daytime barking is a quieter affair ,usually in thick cover and not as loud i feel but then again the night does amplify sound when all else is quiet .Dont practice your barking outside as apart from people looking at you strange ,if you are in the woods and spook a munty ,you will not call it again .Like foxes ,they are only ever fooled once .Have fun .foxdropper .

Edited by foxdropper

This thread rekindled my interest in calling munties .Heard one tonight down in a patch of rushes whilst walking the dogs .The sharp bark of a buck if i wasnt mistaken .Called back to it and it literally came crashing through the spinney towards me but the dogs had other ideas and coursed it 3 fields away towards a main road so i got them back . :thumbdown: