Hunting On Your Own

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a wonderful feeling when out on your own and you get somekind of good results. I am talking about terriers here.I don't know what other people think upon here about taking just one terrier out,

Typical on your own scenario this morning. Terrier in and fox bolts. Lurcher pulls him down around 15 foot from a house and garden. Just as I was about to run over to the lurcher here's the terrier

Suppose it's ok if you plenty of open country to go at going out on your own! But too many roads round us for no one to be on them and make sure hounds cross safely

I do most of my digging on my own and it's just about having a routine. Everything close to hand, including the chain and collar already pegged so I can tether the terrier without leaving the dig.

It's not too bad but if it get's deeper than 5 or 6 feet the good start's to go out of it and then it's hard work.

It's when your on your own that the sort of thing happens that no one will believe you if you told them.

I had close one years ago where I squeezed into a tight spot at the end of a dig and it took me a long time and all my energy to get out.

I was lucky that day.

I've heard of a huntsman in the Munster area who takes out a full pack and a terrier on his own when cubbing. I'm told he can keep them back and dig at the same time.

Fair play to him.

correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure you said the other week you don't even put a shovel in the ground untill after a hour of the dog working...that must be a very boring hour for you on your own if so..

its a fecking nightmare..i have 2 hounds and do as much as i can with them,now their bloody good hounds too pure irish bred harriers but i go on my own and its pretty much a waste of time....no gun man or running dog to stop him.my runner is a rabbit only dog..s the hounds may well run him round for a hour or two but he always hets away and imo thats just no good for hounds or me..... trips out with other lads as lal joint meets is a bloody blessing for me maybe get one on the deck and remind the lala hounds what he looks like!

its gotten soo bad now ive taken the bullet and decided to try and find good working homes for my hounds where they will get a better quality of work as much as it pains me...PM me if yous might know some one

its a fecking nightmare..i have 2 hounds and do as much as i can with them,now their bloody good hounds too pure irish bred harriers but i go on my own and its pretty much a waste of time....no gun man or running dog to stop him.my runner is a rabbit only dog..s the hounds may well run him round for a hour or two but he always hets away and imo thats just no good for hounds or me..... trips out with other lads as lal joint meets is a bloody blessing for me maybe get one on the deck and remind the lala hounds what he looks like!

its gotten soo bad now ive taken the bullet and decided to try and find good working homes for my hounds where they will get a better quality of work as much as it pains me...PM me if yous might know some one

thats a real shame that its came to that mate the other season i had a decent marking bitch killed and from she got kill we had some great hunting just not many results it was near the end of me you know the hounds hunted well and that they had put him in some where but could nt find it

then the luck changed got a marking bitch and getting results most weeks and the hole lot are marking now

I do most of my digging on my own and it's just about having a routine. Everything close to hand, including the chain and collar already pegged so I can tether the terrier without leaving the dig.

It's not too bad but if it get's deeper than 5 or 6 feet the good start's to go out of it and then it's hard work.

It's when your on your own that the sort of thing happens that no one will believe you if you told them.

I had close one years ago where I squeezed into a tight spot at the end of a dig and it took me a long time and all my energy to get out.

I was lucky that day.

I've heard of a huntsman in the Munster area who takes out a full pack and a terrier on his own when cubbing. I'm told he can keep them back and dig at the same time.

Fair play to him.

correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure you said the other week you don't even put a shovel in the ground untill after a hour of the dog working...that must be a very boring hour for you on your own if so..

I think what I said was that I'd give a terrier anything up to an hour before starting to dig.

In a big place, yes, in a small place why would I do that ?

I don't start digging 'till I think it's time and I don't take on too many very big places on my own. It's not the most enjoyable thing in the world.

I'm guessing it's your hounds I commented on on a Facebook page then. I hope they go to good homes

Hope you're holding on to the Trail hounds PK, I enjoy the odd post you show us of them.

I'm guessing it's your hounds I commented on on a Facebook page then. I hope they go to good homes

possibly...one is still avalible one is going back to wales

Hope you're holding on to the Trail hounds PK, I enjoy the odd post you show us of them.

thats a very long story.....one ime not ready to tell yet

I was lucky that day.

Fair play to him.

Neil, that was a very true statement about people not thinking about certain occurrences that happen when you are out by just yourself. In my opinion, not just with terrier work but any kind of hunting or the study of wildlife; that is always when unusual things happen.( You are the only witness to such events)!Over the years I have dug with lots of terrier lads, but I always worked along side my brother as he thought the same way I did. However, like many other lads on this forum will understand, it is a wonderful experience to be out alone and especially when one gets results. I had a little rough-coated bitch called Thatch, she was a clever Dog and on many occasion after unearthing her in some very large sand earths and small shallow ones also, i'd proceed to remove the Dog and place a net over the entrances, which had already been done however and stand back with the terrier and wait.With the Dog being very obedient and knowing the way of Foxes would be stood along side myself. after seeing the Fox in a tight ,small tube the net would be placed back and we would await the outcome. 9 times out of 10 the Fox would bolt and then I would just handle him alive and kill him instantly. However, being alone does present certain draw backs due mainly to safety, especially in deep places.'Look at the trapper who died in Ireland while out with the Ferrets. I knew him well and it was a tragedy that such events do happen. 'But like I have said it is an experience to get good results when in your own company.

• Like 3

Lutra Lutra, I have seen and done things on my own out hunting that if you told anyone they'd call you a lier so I don't bother.

Not hunting related, but, one night I was walking home from the pub on a dark unlit country road and in front of me I could here something running towards me very fast. I wasn't sure what was happening but lifted one of my feet to avoid something and a Hare hit my boot and died instantly.

A few minutes later I walked into my mothers kitchen obviously under the influence carrying a large dead hare.

Stupidly I told a few hunting lads the next day and they took the piss out of me for a long time.

They even called to my house one day after picking a hare up of the road and said it ran into one of their feet, :laugh::laugh: .

When something bad does happen it tends to enlighten your desire for a longer life ,like having best part of 5 tons of sand on your back whilst stupidly tunelling into a vertical sand face .Luckily i wasnt alone or that would of been my grave .

Hats off to anyone hunting hounds alone but IMO and only my opinion to dig alone is fool hardy .

• Like 3