A Passion For Angling

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Robson green should be made to sit and watch each of these old films....and given a dig in the side of the head every time he opens his gob to big his self up or belittle a local angler....the prick

I had the Mr Crabtree book shown in the John Baily clip, gave it to my younger brother years ago and no doubt it got slung out soon after.   Don't know if I posted this before, but me and my old fis

Feck I can't wait to go winter piking, crisp frosty winters morning where it's still and sunny all day but the frost never melts, good campfire on the go and feeding maggots to the resident robin red

Posted Images

Being inspired through the Mr. Crabtree series by the late Bernard Venables I grew in love with the British countryside and it's fieldsports. Part of that heritage came back in the PFA series, it just had the right atmosphere as they say.

Watching the favourite episodes again send me on a search for more, came across these, not as good as PA, but still enjoyable watching i.m.h.o.

Fishing with a centre pin reel is catching up here, just a little influence from across the pond :thumbs: fishing a prawn in freshwater is also something which we don't do. mainly because the lack of game-fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2lmWLfaVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYNo3VrOTU

20 odd years ago myself and 2 mates visited the Royalty fishery on the Hampshire Avon for a recce prior to a 3 day fishing trip. Chris Yates was there doing a bit of fishing with one of his mates and we spent about an hour chatting with him, a very easy bloke to get along with, he is exactly how he comes across in PfA. Obviously I gave him a few pointers. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There used to be some great angling programs about. Screaming reels was, sometimes a good watch. Used to love watching rex hunt. Paul young was a bit she-ite. PFA was obviously up there as mentioned. Can't remember the names of others, Matt Hayes kind of killed it I suspect.

• Like 1

I watched a repeat of Jeremy Wade catching tarpon on the fly the other night,a real enthusiast,he is hard to beat,self-funded his early programs,walked away from a plane crash,been to extreme places and caught incredible fish,he knocks robson green into a cocked hat.

There used to be another program on,wasnt much cop to be honest,i think it was called rod and rucksack?But the guy was a bit wishy washy,didnt have any substance and came across as public schoolboy tries to make angling program.

Anyone remember The Fishing Race from the 70's, starring Jim Gibbinson and Ian Gillespie? Had to catch as many different species as they could in 72 hours, in teams of 2 anglers, to win the Golden Maggot. They were even fishing a garden pond at one time. Recall them going down on the Kentish Rother to catch silver bream.

Also, the old 'black and white' Out Of Town' with Jack Hargreaves. The intro song was 'Out of Town' sung by Max Bygraves? Recall one episode where he fished the Dorset Stour (I think) for pike, using groundbait to draw in the dace and roach fry to further bring in the pike.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first series on Go Fishing with John Wilson, think he had a Lada or Skoda car at the time.

• Like 2