Yesterday morning my 13yr old Border Terrier was diagnosed with diabetes...hes drinking water by the bowlful for a while,but tests showed nothing,now his blood sugar has been 24+ yesterday and today,hes also got a water infection due to excessive peeing.I now have to inject him with insulin twice a day after feeding,the vet says if we can stabilise his sugar its manageable.Its early days yet,I wont let hi carry on if theres no chance of some sort of "normality". for him.H es in no pain/distress so Im going to give it a week or so to see if he improves, if not he will be PTS :cray: Has anybody else experienced similar ,and if so what was the outcome?Hes still eating fine,just very weak /lethargic...Apart from the diabetes hes fine heart,liver,kidneys all spot on Thanks. Dave

It's not bad to manage once you get the hang of the injections and the routine of being strict with giving the same amount of food most days. Once the blood sugar is over about 18 they are lethargic, and pee some excess sugar out, which makes them more likely to get water infections - and as the sugar in the bloodstream makes them ( by various means ) more thirsty, they drink anything they can find - so as soon as the insulin and the routine kicks in, the drinking/peeing thing settles quickly.

Don't get caught up being too worried about what the blood sugar is, or checking the urine for sugar ( the vets may have given (sold you ! ) test strips, or may suggest regular visits for checks... ) at the end of the day ( without meaning to be blunt ) the dog is a good age, and most of the side effects of diabetes are long term - so your dog isn't going to need to worry about them. If the dog is happy, and you are fine with the injections, then just carry on until the time is right to say goodbye.

One of my lurchers was diabetic for the last 2 years of her life and was fine with the jabs. I've been diabetic for 21 years and still doing ok !

• Like 6

It's not bad to manage once you get the hang of the injections and the routine of being strict with giving the same amount of food most days. Once the blood sugar is over about 18 they are lethargic, and pee some excess sugar out, which makes them more likely to get water infections - and as the sugar in the bloodstream makes them ( by various means ) more thirsty, they drink anything they can find - so as soon as the insulin and the routine kicks in, the drinking/peeing thing settles quickly.

Don't get caught up being too worried about what the blood sugar is, or checking the urine for sugar ( the vets may have given (sold you ! ) test strips, or may suggest regular visits for checks... ) at the end of the day ( without meaning to be blunt ) the dog is a good age, and most of the side effects of diabetes are long term - so your dog isn't going to need to worry about them. If the dog is happy, and you are fine with the injections, then just carry on until the time is right to say goodbye.

One of my lurchers was diabetic for the last 2 years of her life and was fine with the jabs. I've been diabetic for 21 years and still doing ok !

so am i, but the long term effects are not great, it has already damaged my eyes, i have hardly any feeling in both feet and it makes you more prone to infections in general.

Ta very much Lara :thumbs: That's pretty much what I wanted to hear :D Im fine doing his jabs and the regimented feeding,I know hes an old dog and some will say PTS now,but Id like to at least try and stabilise him and see if I can get a bit longer with him,as I said hes not suffering,just lethargic,back again for bloods /urine screening in the morning,will see what happens Cheers Dave

• Like 1

so am i, but the long term effects are not great, it has already damaged my eyes, i have hardly any feeling in both feet and it makes you more prone to infections in general.

Me to some times i wish i could be PTS i can tell you

I hate the fecking illness with a passion

and its hit my eyes to paulus

Northern lad dont put the dog to sleep just get used to the routine and he will be fine

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

Me to some times i wish i could be PTS i can tell you

I hate the fecking illness with a passion

and its hit my eyes to paulus

Northern lad dont put the dog to sleep just get used to the routine and he will be fine

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Cheers Mac :thumbs: Not going to pts unless his quality of life has gone...will break my heart this one,had dogs all my life but me and him just fitted together from day one,very much "in tune" with each other ,if you know what I mean ;)

Definetly a significant improvement today,water infections clearing up , less withdrawn and more energy :D Back in a weeks time to check bloods/water again,fingers crossed hes turned the corner....thanks for the input,much rather make informed decisions :thumbs: ATB Dave

• Like 2

paulus do the veggie bit cure it then you can have the bacon sarnie , i done it and had a nice roast beef dinner yesterday its not that bad when you get into it a couple of months of fruit and veg smoothies if i can do it anyone can

Dogs tend to get Type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune condition with a genetic link in which the immune system destroys the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, this is incurable.

Type two is less common in dogs but increasingly so in humans. In some people it can be managed by diet and weight control to the extent of not needing medication but its management not a cure. Basically a sensible healthy diet and weight is healthy.

a friend of mine has a dachshund which ws diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. my mate is very anal about everythuing, a proper nerd, and he was testing pss two three four times a day, juggling feed quantities etc for ages.

basically it took him about a month to work out the exact amount of food versus dose ofn insulin, and does the exact same feed morning and evening, and also tries to keep the amount/intensity of exercise pretty constant ( i dont know if this is importnant) and the dog is in excellent condition nowe, you wouldnt know there was anything wrong with it

Neighbors pet came down with Diabetes. They did the injections and had some trouble getting the Blood sugar (BS) regulated. I think it was mishandled as they did not check the BS at home rather went back to the vet every few weeks. In the end the dog went blind and now the BS is regulated. All of this happened in a couple months by the way.

I hope this information is helpful to you.