Hog Dogging Pictures

Nice dogs mate I especially like the black dog how do you find these dogs for hogging compared to hounds and bulldogs do you reckon it's better to have the one dog to find and catch instead of hounds and bulldogs

It just kinda depends on what style suits you and you like best. For pleasure hunting big tracks of land, most prefer curs and hounds with bull dogs for catch dogs. The people that are contracted for hog removal often use the same style dogs i use. My dogs actually came from such a guy. The versatility of this style of dog is much greater than any other style that I'm aware of. They have good nose, great speed, good eyesight, and catch emediatly. This combo is extremely effective anywhere pigs are present. They are hands down the best dogs for doing crop work and catching pigs on small tracks of land surrounded by people or other land owners. When it comes to hunting large tracks of land and large heavily wooded areas, they are just as good at hunting that stuff as the prefered curr dogs. People here are tending to go rougher and rougher with their currs but they think I'm nuts but it's mostly because of their ignorance in how these dogs operate and the attributes of the dogs body structure in conjuction with their hunting/catching style that makes this style dog so effective at avoiding injury that they can't wrap their head around. Everything most guys here in the states have ever been taught goes totally against this style of dog but that's because the ones that have tried this style hog dogging have tried it with dogs not suited to for this style hunting and get cut down and killed. All ways are fun and effective at catching pigs, it's just what style suits the individual mainly. Oh, people here also believe that you have to have a curr or hound to find pigs. They don't know that dogs like mine hunt with their nose same as a curr. However a good hound dominates the scent world.

• Like 2

Unusual for an American to do it that way, its usually way too many dogs, both bailers and holders.

What made you go for stags? They are nice dogs, but that black bitch seems quite racy? What kind of weight are they and height?

Also what kind of ground are you on? And is it more day or night?

Sorry for all of the questions!

It really interests me the different ways different folk (from different places) approach the job.

The ground I'm on is mostly ranch land. Fairly heavily wooded with mesquite and oak trees. Some farming around which is a big attraction to the pigs. A little farther west of me and you start getting into more open country and a lot more crop feilds. I run my dogs in both places. We have lots of prickly pair cactus here. It is very thick and hard to see when the grass is tall. My stag doesn't do as good a job at avoiding it when I hunt him like a finder holder. My actual finder holder dogs do much better at avoiding it. At the end of the hunt, i set down and lay the dogs down one by one and go over them with tweezers. Usually just their legs is only thing that has stickers in it .

The dogs are about 28 to 29 inches tall and around 80 to 85 pounds. Extremely agile and athletic dogs. The athletsism of these finder holder dogs is something that most people never see in their big dogs around here.

I hunt both day and night, don't matter to me. Crop work is mostly done at night and in the hot summer most hunting is done at night because it's cooler. In the winter I'll hunt the woods in the day time usually.

Why did I go to stags and finder holders? Well if you have finder holders like the black gyp in the picture, you really don't need stags but i kinda started with stags before I got my finder holders and i just fell in love with them. Before I come by my finder holders, i got a really great stag that I was gonna cross to another breed or two and develop my own line of dogs. Luckily I stumbled onto a guy that has been breading finder holders for 15 years or more from wolfhound, deerhound, mastiff blood. so i got a few pups from him. No need in cross breeding stags now and going the long way to get good finder holders. If they will use their nose and are hard enough to catch pigs, then I'm happy to have a straight stag. Usually they don't use their nose as good as a good finder holder and are not as hard because they are mostly bred to hunt coyotes by sight up in the plains states but it not uncommon to get them for pig hunting and find that they will use their nose a little once they figure out the game. Their speed is killer on the crop fields or when doing sight work but because their speed is the only thing they have over my finder holder such as the black gyp, and my finder holders are still really fast, my finder holder type dogs are better hog dogs. I do love stags though. Very very cool dogs. I hope to always have a couple good ones.

I got out of the bay dogs and bull dog style because I wanted dogs that hunted and caught big like Ned Makim and the Bloom Brothers from Australia. I set out to get these kinda dogs because the way those guys hunt and their dogs are more my style and I believe much more effective and effecient than running hogs till they choose to stop and fight on their own. I wanted dogs that caught pigs on their terms, not the pigs terms.

• Like 3

Brilliant reply, thank you very much.

Its interesting to hear that not everyone in the U.S goes at it mob handed.

Ive had experience of hunting them with finder/bailers and finder/holders and a bit in between.

They are one hell of a quarry and I don't think many people really 'get' that without first hand experience.

• Like 1

Very good post blackstreak

Agree with ideation it's nice to see that the pigs arnt hammerd by groups of dogs . I have scouple of DVDs pig hunting and one the. There's at least 5 big dogs on a pig and one or two baying at it .. Looks s good bit of sport them two dogs on s good size pig

Edited by Navek

Agree with ideation it's nice to see that the pigs arnt hammerd by groups of dogs . I have scouple of DVDs pig hunting and one the. There's at least 5 big dogs on a pig and one or two baying at it .. Looks s good bit of sport them two dogs on s good size pig

I've hunted both ways and prefer the dogs like the ones i have now that do it all instead of having to have multiple dogs to fill the same role 1 finder holder does.

Usually I run 2 dogs but really only 1 is needed in most cases.

• Like 1

Good read that I found it very interesting.i like the look of the stag

Thanks! He is a very interesting dog to look at, even more so in real life. Further more he is a very very regal acting dog when at home or during most down time. Very hard not to like him even if you didn't know him as such an extreme hunter.

• 3 weeks later...

I've hunted both ways and prefer the dogs like the ones i have now that do it all instead of having to have multiple dogs to fill the same role 1 finder holder does.

Usually I run 2 dogs but really only 1 is needed in most cases.

Any more than two dogs and they start getting in each other's way and grabbing a hold of things they aren't supposed to, it can get pretty messy. Also the more dogs the harder it is for em to avoid copping a tusk when the pigs start fighting. I like two or three working on the tray, and then I'll have 2 or 3 fresh dogs in the crate waiting for their turn to switch out when fatigue or injury slows the others down. If I have 3 on the tray 2 will be holders and 1 will be a bay dog

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...