Hog Dogging Pictures

Took 4 deer hunters out with me for thir first hog dogging adventure after they wrapped up their days deer hunt on opening weekend of deer season. The two dogs did pretty well. The pictures are of the first pig we caught. The dogs found and caught the pig quite a ways from us. The run on foot to the catch was pretty grueling for us but more so on some than others lol. I was the first on scene and took several pictures before some of the other guys made it to the catch. Two of the guys that night got to trade in their deer rifles for a big knife and got up close and personal with pigs. Later on, I overheard the guys talking amongst themselves saying they hadn't had so much fun and adrenalin since they don't know when and said it was by far the highlight of opening weekend of deer season. They thanked me many times and wanted me to come back next weekend lol. Made me feel pretty good.

The pictures should be in order. They are of the little boar giving my stag a good thrust.

post-99376-0-71702700-1447282678_thumb.jpg

post-99376-0-64398100-1447282695_thumb.jpg

post-99376-0-84989300-1447282712_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

The brownish dog is a stag. Grey x deerhound type make up. He is a very very good hog dog. Will use his nose to find pigs, great eyesight, extremely hard dog - no pig to big for his hardness. He is my lead pig dog.

The black dog is a young dog named Lapua. Her back ground consists of wolfhound, deerhound, and mastiff. I have two other litter mates to Lapua. Lapua has a good nose, good hunting characteristics - constant got her nose to the ground and actively hunting out to 4 to 500 yards. She is gonna be an exceptional finder holder as far as finder holder type dogs go here in the states. Not many dogs of this type here like their is in Australia but the finder holders I run are modeled after the Aussie finder holder type dogs.

• Like 3

post-99376-0-64203500-1447546479_thumb.jpg This is my stag. post-99376-0-27110400-1447546889_thumb.jpg This dog is the one I've been letting chase rabbitspost-99376-0-79232400-1447546991_thumb.jpg This dog is my best young dog and is the one holding the pig with my stag at the beginning of this thread. She is also the one vested cooling off in the water.

Don't know why some of the picture are sideway, sorry about that.

post-99376-0-11419500-1447546951_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Unusual for an American to do it that way, its usually way too many dogs, both bailers and holders.

What made you go for stags? They are nice dogs, but that black bitch seems quite racy? What kind of weight are they and height?

Also what kind of ground are you on? And is it more day or night?

Sorry for all of the questions!

It really interests me the different ways different folk (from different places) approach the job.