The Brown Rat

any terrier will kill a rat but how may will go to ground

Think your missing the point ,lot of terriers will go to ground not a lot will make the grade,i'm not new to terrier work and no exactly what's required of different dogs for different jobs,my post was ratting terriers,and my opinion as and what i require ,atb keith j.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

Not posted for a while for reasons of my own but read this and felt the need to contribute .I've done both digging and ratting in number ,more rats than most have seen including some who would swear otherwise .kicking about a farm for 50 rats is great fun but no test of any dog .Get norvics in number and the dog will be tested for both fitness and the will to want the next one .I feel your post was written to get a rise from some and predictably it happened .Not many are lucky enough to see rats in number so don't really know what they are ranting about but keep it up Keith ,always good to see great pics .

• Like 2

My own terriers both kill rats but my plummer is the best dog i've ever seen at ratting and miles ahead of my russell,now my russell stays up close under the sod and don't mind a kiss and cuddle but he picks his strike at a rat and never just gets hold of them .

• Like 1

Not posted for a while for reasons of my own but read this and felt the need to contribute .I've done both digging and ratting in number ,more rats than most have seen including some who would swear otherwise .kicking about a farm for 50 rats is great fun but no test of any dog .Get norvics in number and the dog will be tested for both fitness and the will to want the next one .I feel your post was written to get a rise from some and predictably it happened .Not many are lucky enough to see rats in number so don't really know what they are ranting about but keep it up Keith ,always good to see great pics .

Don't come on here my self much either FD,my reason being is its full a know it alls that know nothing,however there are some that know there stuff and it comes across in there post;s.what i know about terrier work would fill a book,what i don't know would fill a library .I will always give an honest opinion and its a pity most others don't.Have to disagree with you on some points though,the level of fitness in my dogs is very high and on many occasions'' ratting'' there fitness has bin tested to the full and they do need a degree of toughness when killing in number. I'm not talking about earth dogs hear i'll leave that to lads like yourself,never dug a fox for years.But i love the work i do with my dogs and they do a good job doing it,as i'm sure do yours.And if this thread has made a few bite along the way .well it is the hunting life,but all the same i wish you well FD atb keithJ.

• Like 1

Plumber terriers have good noses because of the beagle in them and stamina and their hard jaws to be able to kill big brown rats. I wonder if we had a infest of them giant rats what terriers would then be used especially if they have burrows that terrier and rat can fit down I don't think it would be many plumber terriers that could do it because they say their frightens of the dark and could they handle being bitten till dug too but there again they can kill hundred rats so they might do it or but there again have they been bred to go to ground I think I would use a different breed easier for giant rats

Are you slagging manufactured breeds, the people, or the breeds the use, or what the are or where the come from or the people that owned them!? . Or the ggame the can't face for a while. Bring me back) tiny), wasn't that in the plumber book, in London killing all them stinking Rats

• Like 1

Plumber terriers have good noses because of the beagle in them and stamina and their hard jaws to be able to kill big brown rats. I wonder if we had a infest of them giant rats what terriers would then be used especially if they have burrows that terrier and rat can fit down I don't think it would be many plumber terriers that could do it because they say their frightens of the dark and could they handle being bitten till dug too but there again they can kill hundred rats so they might do it or but there again have they been bred to go to ground I think I would use a different breed easier for giant rats

In your dream world of giant rats the lads would use what they had in their kennels,just like they do in this real world :thumbs: .. .

• Like 1

What planet you on FB,or more to the fact how old are you?you just seem to babble a load of utter shite.Gather your in bed now ?Mammy tucked you in?hopefully she'll read you a nice bed time story on Peter the rabbit or water ship down as that seems the world you live in.don't be having night mares now about giant rats living in BIG holes with just a Plummer terrier for protection.So i bid you good night and sleep tight FB. However i do look forward to your next post on giant rabbits atb.

Edited by keith j
  • Like 3

Obviously a dog brought up as a rat hunter should run rings around a earth dog, I'm hoping that's what you meant?

Read the post properly bud,what exactly do you mean?run rings round what .A dog brought up as a rat hunter is exactly that.

Obviously a dog brought up as a rat hunter should run rings around a earth dog, I'm hoping that's what you meant?

Read the post properly bud,what exactly do you mean?run rings round what .A dog brought up as a rat hunter is exactly that.

I'm talking about you stating that Earth dogs don't make the best ratters, obviously a dog brought up solely as a ratter is going to perform better than an earth dog.

• Like 1

I'm talking about you stating that Earth dogs don't make the best ratters, obviously a dog brought up solely as a ratter is going to perform better than an earth dog.

Where did i say that?what i said was my dogs turned a good pair of digging dogs owned by my pal inside out when ratting,and that's fact ,so once again will folk read the posts properly before posting.atb keith

Where did i say that?what i said was my dogs turned a good pair of digging dogs owned by my pal inside out when ratting,and that's fact ,so once again will folk read the posts properly before posting.atb keith

What exactly do you mean by turned inside out?