The Brown Rat

Gotta say, that your first post is bound to cause debate Keith and I would go as far as to say you wrote it so... If you didn't want to court controvesy then why bring earth work into your very Plummeresque post. It could stand on the merits of ratting and ratting terriers alone!

To be honest i'm an 'each to their own' bloke and only the fact that earth work and ratting are both done by terriers (in the main!) draws any comparisons between the two.

That said, I admire your enthusiasm for the game and admiration for the terrier. Keep posting, love the photo's. ;)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loathed by most,loved by a few,an unworthy opponent to some terrier men, yet a more than worthy opponent by others.Some like to kill the odd few now and then, others like myself hunt them on a weekly

Most of mine too.

foxbolter i'm not going to get pulled in to a debate over how strong a rat is or is not,ive bin working terriers for over 35 years and over twenty on other quarry, so i'll have my opinion and you have

Posted Images

Rats have hard bites although ferrets can kill them with ease. I don't see how a ground dog would be turned upside down.

obviously you haven't ferreted many rats TIGER ,the working life of a ratting ferret is very short and many loose there lives to the brown rat ,,fact.the dogs i mentioned belong to a good friend of mine and they were made to look second rate against my dogs as no doubt mine would be second rate up against his at earth work.so read my post properly i'm not comparing anything just telling how it is.But all the same atb keith j.

• Like 1

Gotta say, that your first post is bound to cause debate Keith and I would go as far as to say you wrote it so... If you didn't want to court controvesy then why bring earth work into your very Plummeresque post. It could stand on the merits of ratting and ratting terriers alone!

To be honest i'm an 'each to their own' bloke and only the fact that earth work and ratting are both done by terriers (in the main!) draws any comparisons between the two.

That said, I admire your enthusiasm for the game and admiration for the terrier. Keep posting, love the photo's. ;)

The reason it was brought into the post BOSSOM,is because that's exactly what its about ''debate''the fact that it has bin mentioned dozens of times about failed earth dogs being the best ratters,well there not.PLUMMERESQUE well that's a new one to me ,never mentioned a Plummer once in that post.however the earth dogs in question were a close friend of mine and i'm sure my dogs would be second rate to his in his chosen sport..ive worked many a dog on many a quarry and this article is about debate but not about comparing anything as a enjoy and respect all work done by all terriers in there chosen game atb keith j.

The reason it was brought into the post BOSSOM,is because that's exactly what its about ''debate''the fact that it has bin mentioned dozens of times about failed earth dogs being the best ratters,well there not.PLUMMERESQUE well that's a new one to me ,never mentioned a Plummer once in that post.however the earth dogs in question were a close friend of mine and i'm sure my dogs would be second rate to his in his chosen sport..ive worked many a dog on many a quarry and this article is about debate but not about comparing anything as a enjoy and respect all work done by all terriers in there chosen game atb keith j.

But debate is what you said you didnt want to get into in your post to Foxbolter Keith... Make your mind up!

As for Plummeresque... It simply means 'Plummer-like' in its style, I read your post and am fully aware you didn't mention Plummer and I wasn't refering to 'a' Plummer, rather DBP himself.

And yep, you are very Plummeresque by your very attitude. Crack on ratting boy. ;)

But debate is what you said you didnt want to get into in your post to Foxbolter Keith... Make your mind up!

As for Plummeresque... It simply means 'Plummer-like' in its style, I read your post and am fully aware you didn't mention Plummer and I wasn't refering to 'a' Plummer, rather DBP himself.

And yep, you are very Plummeresque by your very attitude. Crack on ratting boy

Come on Bossom less of the boy,and ive not bin personal with anyone so lets keep it that way.as for foxbolter i wasn't going to get pulled to a load of shite over shite.didn't realised i came across with attitude always try and give an honest opinion and i'm aware not every one will agree.however Bosson none of this is personal to you or any one else ,but it has bin a bit refreshing,so atb to you and happy hunting keith j.

Delusional.... One dog against a foe twice or more its weight underground for hours in that creatures environment.... Or multiple dogs after an animal weighing a few ounces, chased out of its home by smoker or tractor. I certainly think this will be debated, for me no comparison. IMO

• Like 3

Delusional.... One dog against a foe twice or more its weight underground for hours in that creatures environment.... Or multiple dogs after an animal weighing a few ounces, chased out of its home by smoker or tractor. I certainly think this will be debated, for me no comparison. IMO

READ THE FECKING POST PROPERLY .

• Like 2

I agree, you shouldnt compare the two sports as they are miles apart. Theres nothing wrong with ratting if thats what you enjoy. I wish i enjoyed ratting as much as some of you lads because its easier to get a dog for the job. ?

I wasn't looking for a debate I didn't start the rubbish about a big bit and my post is as I think it is .why make a poxy rat out as something it isn't you started a debate with u r first childish post and personal I think rating is good for starting pups to work you can sometimes see good in a pup when it as a rat but it wouldn't put me off the pup if it wasn't very interested in them and as for terriers for rating being failed earth dogs well they sometimes are not all the best with u r rating nothing personal either it was the way you put it across and watch those rats when their in a block end they go nasty then