Hi guys, I'd like to start taking a few pics but I don't understand any of the technology such as appreture settings and all that biz. I wasn't thinking dslr just an ordinary all in one type thing but wasn't sure on size and zoom etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations as there are so many out there?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A Canon DSLR but nowt fancy,cheap lens but does for me..all on manual settings,just trial & error with me lol          

When you see them guys behind the goals at premier football matches with compacts fitted to them big f**k off lenses that the time to get one

I have an ancient Nikon D300,....I believe it could be a good tool,....in the right hands..   To be honest, I have realy tried to understand the basic rules of photography..   The reason for F.Sto

Posted Images

I don't understand all the aperture etc either but my advice would be to get yourself a DSLR and just get out there get snapping and experiment with the settings,you can't do any harm to the camera by doing that..honestly you will regret buying something lesser and will want to upgrade anyways..there's a handy one for sale on here I seen like brand new,everything there to get you clicking straight away. A Nikon D5100 for £200

Get yourself a nice dslr and use it in auto for a while and pay attention to what settings the camera chooses then start setting your own when you understand it and try improve images that's how I started before you know it you will understand what's going on

It's me selling the d5100 with a 18-55 mm dx vr Lense

Still got it too surprised at that price

• Like 1

Get yourself a nice dslr and use it in auto for a while and pay attention to what settings the camera chooses then start setting your own when you understand it and try improve images that's how I started before you know it you will understand what's going on

It's me selling the d5100 with a 18-55 mm dx vr Lense

Still got it too surprised at that price

Good advice, & a great camera. I have one & done exactly the same after messing about with compact digitals.

The DSLR camera is just a box like any Camera, the lens is everything. The difference between A Pro Camera and a Consumer is not only the price but one is built like a tank to withstand Professional use. Both can take the same image with the same Lens. If you are going to look at your images only on a Computer and not make any prints then if it was me I would not give my money on to much equipment. Using the Camera in Automatic is fine 90 Percent of the time, using you eye has to be 100 Percent, no one can teach that and no Camera can do it.

Good luck

The DSLR camera is just a box like any Camera, the lens is everything. The difference between A Pro Camera and a Consumer is not only the price but one is built like a tank to withstand Professional use. Both can take the same image with the same Lens. If you are going to look at your images only on a Computer and not make any prints then if it was me I would not give my money on to much equipment. Using the Camera in Automatic is fine 90 Percent of the time, using you eye has to be 100 Percent, no one can teach that and no Camera can do it.

Good luck

I NEVER use my camera on Auto.

If someone is wanting action pics, then they won't get them on auto I'm afraid. ;)

• Like 2

Good luck

I NEVER use my camera on Auto.

If someone is wanting action pics, then they won't get them on auto I'm afraid. ;)

Correct for you and for me, but that was not the advice he asked for, and not his starting point.

All the best

Agreed only use auto to learn the base settings give you a IDEA of what settings to base your thoughts on then start playing lower iso then lower shutter speed to to allow more light etc and so on

But plenty good vids on YouTube to check out

I like froknowsphoto his early guides to set up camera really helped me

Don't get me wrong I'm still learning myself but don't think there ever a point when you can say you know everything in photography as there so many different things you can do list is endless but I love it Learning more and more

just use shutter priority if its action shots, aperture priority for landscapes and manual to get experience, mind i jumped in at the deep end and chose to go withal manual from the beginning, the rest is all fuzzy history. :laugh::laugh:

Nikon d3100 d3200 d5000 d5100 had them all they all great got a d7000 now and saving for a d3s

Can you tell I like Nikon lol

d700 is good but full frame, you can use the dx lenses on them but it knocks the pixels down

I have a good Canon dslr with a few lenses and a flashgun. However I usually take a so called bridge camera on holiday and I am more than happy with them. I update it every 2 - 4 years. Currently I have Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. It has manual and auto settings and a massive zoom range with a 35mm equivalent 24 – 840 mm. It also does video, as do most these days.

Looking on the Canon website this model is now replaced with the SX60 HS with an even wider zoom range (35mm equivalent 21 – 1365 mm).

I always read 3rd party reviews in detail before selecting a camera though. Here's one for the SX60 HS. However there's is, as you say, there lots of other choices.

The only thing I'd say about this is that a wider start for the lens would be an advantage for landscapes, ie 18mm.