My Beating Experience..........

First season of beating for me and after a number of days out there was no pay (50mile round trip), no lunch (breakfast is optional at a cost) no chance of any vermin control (game keepers exact words were “No Chance”) and not a great deal of organisation.

I wont be returning but would be interested to know what you would want from your beating experience, Is it pay, secure a permission or do you do it just for the day out and is this the norm or was I expecting too much ?

Regards

you been hard done to mate the keeper could at very least give you a couple of days vermin shooting as for the grub -ive been to some where the dog wouldn't eat it & been to others that put the wifes food to shame! lol [hope she doesn't read this] now as far as money goes you should have enquired if any money changed hands . I beat for a few different sindicates getting paid off one but I do have ALL the vermin shooting if I want ps sometimes the keeper has to trust you before letting you loose on land ---hope this helps you but don't give up as its a good day out regardless -billy

We get fuel money and a bacon/sausage sarnie in the morning.I do it to work my spaniels,get some vermin control with the terriers and have a good laugh.The lads get a beaters day but I don't shoot.i had to gain the trust of the keeper before he agreed to let me loose with the terriers.

• Like 1

I've never gone for the money myself.

Mainly the crack and being apart of something I enjoy.

Most of the ones I've been on there hasn't been food every time. Maybe at Xmas or when a lad from Holland brought the some meats n Cheeses (along with some booze).

Beaters day is always a bonus plus like it's been said, gets the dogs doing what they're bred for.

They're taking the piss mate. Find somewhere else.

We get 20 quid a day, pork pies, biscuits and beer at lunch, hot food and beer after. I come and go as I please doing vermin, get a few walked up days just kicking hedges etc, a small beaters day.

The shoot isn't the best in the country but it's great crack.

I know of a top quality private shoot where beaters are treated just as well with access to stalking, dog work etc as well as quality beaters/keepers days.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, It wasnt about the money, if Im honest I was hoping for a bit of vermin control, the dilema I had was how long I attended before I would have won the trust of the keeper and if that would have ever happened as he made it very clear it would not.

I was more annoyed at the lack of organisation, I never had my name taken when in attendance so not sure how they were ever going to keep tabs on who was there and how many times I attended.

Anyway I did enjoy the beating and wont let it put me off. :thumbs:

Regards

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, It wasnt about the money, if Im honest I was hoping for a bit of vermin control, the dilema I had was how long I attended before I would have won the trust of the keeper and if that would have ever happened as he made it very clear it would not.

I was more annoyed at the lack of organisation, I never had my name taken when in attendance so not sure how they were ever going to keep tabs on who was there and how many times I attended.

Anyway I did enjoy the beating and wont let it put me off. :thumbs:

Regards

Hi Truebrit66

Stick in , you'll find a good shoot to beat on. It's not about money it's about having great craic .You should get breakfast or lunch or dinner and a few quid and the offer a few birds at the very least. Once your a trusted regular you should also get a bit of whatever you like , ie ratting , foxing , pigeon shooting or rabbiting etc. You should be made to feel really welcome and if your not vote with your feet.

Hope you find somewhere that deserves you and appreciates you.

• Like 2

we payed £35 a day...with a can of beer and a lal glass of whisky at lunch... no lunch supplied but their was always a hot sausage roll or pie as well as their own packed lunch..beaters day was a 300 bird day! and for the guys who helped us do the extra lal days (as many as 4-5 days a week) they got the annual pigeon shoot to that was a 400 bird doo...as well as the "deer day" :blink::laugh:
but no one got vermin shooting....i would some times take some one lamping but rarely it was much too stressful

a few of the lads who were "useful" would help and get paid in summer for helping on the rearing field and we always put as much trade work to the beating team as possible..roofing.sparkie work ect

we have a D.I.Y.walk and stand shoot so guns do the beating but if anyone wants to bring somone to beat we welcome them and tell them no money no food but a brace at the end of the day .Sounds mean I know but if they have a dog they can work/train it without getting into bother as we don't have a keeper to upset Take our last shoot day we had three youngsters with us as it was our first day we just moved the birds about and shot selectively on the last stand two of the young lads who had fired shotguns before were given a stand mentored by the gun that brought them, the third lad had a go at a few tin cans at the end of the day.If they turn up next time then they are hooked :victory: on this shooting lark.

I do beat for a couple of shoots one provides drink and warm food plus £30 the other I get to work the dog and I chance to carry my gun if not enough guns turn up on the day.

As said before it's best to find out what the shoot offers it's beaters before you go as there are only so many days in the season.

If I was going beating & I rarely do as I'm part of my own syndicate, a brace of birds at the end of the day & being offered a beaters day or a go at roost shooting pigeons in February would be enough for me.

Any times I have gone beating was to get my dog out a run, so not bothered about fuel unless I was travelling a great distance.

• Like 1

The little bit of beating I do on a small shoot gives us hot food and drinks at lunch a brace each or more at the end and stands us a couple of pints after,been offered some pest control but the owner is hard to get hold of and get straight answers from and puts us in touch with someone just as hard to find! But the chance is there,I go just to take part as I really enjoy it and would go for nothing at all,a thankyou at the end would be enough for me!

Each shoot is very different I suppose depending on the money involved etc,so have different things to offer those that help,gaining trust to pest control must be hard,most keepers must know a list of people,some good friends,and won't be short of people offering their services...

• 2 weeks later...

Any money, food stuff, permissions and beaters days, if provided, are bonuses on top of having a good crack with a bunch of like minded individuals, great exercise in some fantastic countryside, working your dog (if your lucky enough to have a half decent hound) and seeing some amazing and on the flip side woeful shooting, the woeful stuff makes me feel better about my own ineptitude on driven game, if we all did it for just the folding stuff I don't suppose may shoots would keep going, oh and I almost forgot, it gets you out of the house on boxing day, you got to love it!!

• Like 1

I only go to work the dogs. I was walking the young un when the local gamekeeper pulled over and had a bit craic, and after seeing she wasn't tear-arsing around his woods he said to come along.

No money or dinner but a brace, a handshake and a sincere thank you. From the Keeper and the Guns.