German Male Goshawk

david901

The day before yesterday, I had one flight at pheasant with the gos.

She chased it to a patch of brash in the nearby woodland.
Unfortunately she tried following it in and ended up soaked on the ground due to all the melted/wet snow lying.
After that we went home.
This morning I tried at the same piece of ground. Due to the brash and cover lying in amongst some thick conifers, it can be hard to get a clean flush. Usually the gos gets held up trying to go through the cover or she has to fly around it, giving the pheasant a fair start on her.
I kept the dog in close and tried to pick where I worked him. He showed a lot of interest at some fallen branches. So I worked my way around them in order to get a reasonable slip.
I shouted the dog on and just then a pheasant flushed.
The pheasant burst out, but the gos powered after it, cutting through a clearing.
The pheasant was heading back to the brushpile in the nearby woodland, but it never got that far.
The gos pulled him down a short distance away.
She got a good feed up and off we went home.
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is the one, although there are longer versions

A couple of pics of the imprint gos doing what she does best.....LOL She has had a few rabbits as well and hopefully if the weather stays dry and cold, I can do a few streams for some duck before th

Its been raining non-stop here for the last few days. Yesterday was a "fast" day for the hawks, so I wanted to get him out hawking today. I waited ages to see if it would stop raining, but it didn'

Posted Images

Well the female gos took another rabbit today.

Her success rate is quite impressive if I say so myself.
Most things she catches, she keeps a hold of. Not bad considering her Hallux doesn't work on her right foot.
Its a far cry from her performance last year where I saw her lose rabbit after rabbit and also duff a few pheasant catches.
  • Like 1

couldn't agree more!

Have you seen the clip of a golden eagle attempting to catch a hare? its on youtube- its one of roy luptons birds and I believe the clip is on the fieldsports youtube channel. its amazing. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it!

Muttley

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 03/11/2015 at 15:01, david901 said:

That is one major problem. - Buying a well raised hawk.

Some of the "reputable" breeders are not that reputable it seems.

I think some of the lads who breed from their own hunting stock just as a hobby can be more reliable.

Same with terriers and lurchers, best ones come from lads who breed to keep a line going not for profit. 

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...