Putanges - The Movie!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Way With The Putanges   You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red

My gripe with all the new mole trappers from these courses is that they are not earning a living at it but are just creaming off work from those of us that rely on Pest control for a living and are o

But you could equally argue that applies to pigeon shooting and rabbit clearance. Even ratting. There will always be middle ground.   I used to help a mate who ran a shoot and that involved shooting

Just been round to a friend of mine who had been doing some mole trapping for one of his friends. As he'd lost several traps to their lawn mower (woman driver) he asked him to get some marker paint and he would go back and put some Putanges down. He got there to find that Dave had bought green spray paint. :blink:

• Like 3

Just been round to a friend of mine who had been doing some mole trapping for one of his friends. As he'd lost several traps to their lawn mower (woman driver) he asked him to get some marker paint and he would go back and put some Putanges down. He got there to find that Dave had bought green spray paint. :blink:

I've sent a pm mate but no reply if you need money quickly.cheers

Sorry, but I've not replied before as I've had to do a count up of orders against the stuff I have in. Also, you are a bit vague about what exactly you are wanting. Are these for you or are you ordering on behalf of someone else?

Sorry, but I've not replied before as I've had to do a count up of orders against the stuff I have in. Also, you are a bit vague about what exactly you are wanting. Are these for you or are you ordering on behalf of someone else?[/quote

MPs you mate

Nice Video Clive, was expecting a slight french twang to your voice. :boogy:

Been using my putanges for quite a while now on/off. Vey good in public areas as long as they are set when no one is looking, never had any disturbed, where you can with other traps when the spring pops through the soil. Not always possible to heap enough soil up on the duffus, especially if folk play footy.

Think the others who use them will find them useful sometimes

• Like 1

Nice Video Clive, was expecting a slight french twang to your voice. :boogy:

Been using my putanges for quite a while now on/off. Vey good in public areas as long as they are set when no one is looking, never had any disturbed, where you can with other traps when the spring pops through the soil. Not always possible to heap enough soil up on the duffus, especially if folk play footy.

Think the others who use them will find them useful sometimes

I wondered where you had got to these days. I suppose with your new farming enterprise and all your trapping jobs there aren't enough hours in the day? Especially waiting for the stock to come in from the field :laugh:

Did you find any pellets for them?

• 1 month later...

My Way With The Putanges

You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red carpet seen such glitterati, or for that matter wellies and Muckboots.

Hollywood superstars such as Sir David Attenborough, Dame Judy Dench and Christopher Biggins are not in it. Bill Oddie couldn’t wouldn’t come and the film was introduced by that girl who sometimes presents the weather on Yorkshire TV.

My Way With The Putanges” concerns a simple lad from Barnsley making his living using nobbut bits of bent wire and a pair of wellies. You will find love, tragedy, heartbreak and some adult humour are not included in the film. In fact it is all about moles and mole traps. And bloody French ones at that!

Pointless” Barnsley Comical.

The end couldn’t come soon enough!” Fred Gibson (Michael Parkinson’s former next door neighbour)

“The film was s**t. But I enjoyed the pie & peas!” Aunty Lil.

Film rated as ‘PG’.

Warning; May contain nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjGznte01M

Goodness me, ...just found this ! Great work, with the video, very enjoyable,mate. (i can see now, how they were all converted ?,...lol) The "putange" has such a simple design, but seems to work a treat,.& i bet it packs a 'bit of a punch', for what it is, as well ? lol

My Way With The Putanges

You’ve read the book, seen the photos and now the blockbuster film has just been released to a fanfare of publicity at the Barnsley Odeon! Never before has the famous red carpet seen such glitterati, or for that matter wellies and Muckboots.

Hollywood superstars such as Sir David Attenborough, Dame Judy Dench and Christopher Biggins are not in it. Bill Oddie couldn’t wouldn’t come and the film was introduced by that girl who sometimes presents the weather on Yorkshire TV.

My Way With The Putanges” concerns a simple lad from Barnsley making his living using nobbut bits of bent wire and a pair of wellies. You will find love, tragedy, heartbreak and some adult humour are not included in the film. In fact it is all about moles and mole traps. And bloody French ones at that!

Pointless” Barnsley Comical.

The end couldn’t come soon enough!” Fred Gibson (Michael Parkinson’s former next door neighbour)

“The film was s**t. But I enjoyed the pie & peas!” Aunty Lil.

Film rated as ‘PG’.

Warning; May contain nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjGznte01M

Goodness me, ...just found this ! Great work, with the video, very enjoyable,mate. (i can see now, how they were all converted ?,...lol) The "putange" has such a simple design, but seems to work a treat,.& i bet it packs a 'bit of a punch', for what it is, as well ? lol

Whoever put out the "no mol", has just ripped it off, surely ?

The Putange design is at least 300 years old. The story goes that Louis XIV who had commissioned the building of the Palace of Versailles in the 17th century was so pi$$ed off with moles ruining the landscaped gardens that he employed a team of mole trappers to deal with the problem. They used the simple metal Putange which may have started off as a hazel powered trap. A hazel branch being split, the un-split end bound by wire and the two split parts whittled down to narrow prongs with small hardwood prongs set into them and in use held apart by a wire trigger. As such there is no patent so anyone can and do make copies.

Traditionally there are two types of Putange; the one you see in the video is set using a lever or pliers, and the other type has the prongs crossed over and can be separated using your hand to squeeze the spring;- 'Putange a Main'. There are also variations including Putange type traps used for trapping voles and smaller animals. The Bavarian type is not designed for moles, but the terrestrial vole, which is a nuisance on mountain pastures. That has a circular end and looks quite odd.

When I first started using these I could find French made traps in small quantities in most hardware shops and garden centres. In the last six months or so most of the suppliers I got my traps from have started selling poor quality traps made in the Far East. Most of these have chains to retain the triggers and the metal wire used is noticeably thinner than the French made traps. They are also much shinier and are pigs to set from new, but don't retain that shine for very long. It is a sign of the times, just like Duffus and Talpex types, the retail buyers go for the cheapest rather than quality and that invariably means Chinese.

Last year I bought a dozen unbranded Putanges from a small hardware shop that initially were absolute b'stards to use. They kept crossing over and it was impossible to re-set them without a vice. I eventually managed to tame them by re-aligning the legs using a vice and pliers and they now work fine. I realised that they had been made from stainless wire and showed zero oxidisation. When i went back to the shop to get some more they had taken them off sale because of the problems. I can't get to know where they came from otherwise I would order a lot more.

• Like 2