My Female Goshawk

bullet

a video of two slips on rabbit with my female gos, the clips are the wrong way around, the first slip she slammed in the fence after her rabbit, the second slip which is the first clip you can see in slow motion she's only using one foot, there are no visible injuries, but she is now resting up with cream to treat for bruising

best watched in 1080hd in the youtube settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNePqu7_5SM

Edited by bullet
  • Like 5

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a video of two slips on rabbit with my female gos, the clips are the wrong way around, the first slip she slammed in the fence after her rabbit, the second slip which is the first clip you can see in

today resulted in two rabbits from two slips got one on camera, need to sort out the quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbNcJUUkMTs&feature=youtu.be the picture of the two  

today we were back out up the peak area, had a walk around first to see if any squatters were laying out, nowt to fly at so ferreted a sett, first slip for me rabbit was out and in as quick as a blink

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing mate.

Fences are a terrible thing.

I once lost a young male gos to fences whilst chasing a rabbit.

The rabbit went through the fence at the bottom of a hedge, the gos hit it full force.

just seems like they got now brains to brake, need to get her fit as she's no where near yet

Thanks for sharing mate.

The rabbit went through the fence at the bottom of a hedge, the gos hit it full force.

just seems like they got now brains to brake, need to get her fit as she's no where near yet

I feel that they actually think they can fly through the small gaps in the wire.

My female actually flew through the small gap in sheep netting.

I thought she had damaged herself, but she just continued on a caught the rabbit. :huh:

Thanks for sharing mate.

I feel that they actually think they can fly through the small gaps in the wire.

I thought she had damaged herself, but she just continued on a caught the rabbit. :huh:

I know it happens a lot, but I saw her connect to the wood fence and it seemed like she hit it hard, my mates female broke her leg two seasons ago and its not a pretty sight

• Like 1

I really hope she recovers completely mate.

I have an imprint female that has lost the use of her right Hallux and she now really struggles to hold game.

She lays and incubates 4 eggs every year, so I may try and either loan her out to a breeder

or try and breed from her myself.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing mate.

I had exactly the same........you get some real heart stopping moments with a gos......

I used to go up to Yorkshire sometimes to hawk on a small farm that my dad was 'house sitting' at the time.......

Out the back of the house was a small open wood, which was grassed throughout, with a few small warrens & in the middle of the wood was one solitary fallen tree.....

First time we ferreted I was flying a male Harris & one rabbit ran under the log, with the Harris flipping over the top & making a kill. The following season I was flying a male gos & the same thing happened.....but of course this time the gos followed under through the 9" gap & made the kill!

That's what I love about them.......that 'heat seeking missile' mentality........you can't beat it!

• Like 1

I really hope she recovers completely mate.

I have an imprint female that has lost the use of her right Hallux and she now really struggles to hold game.

She lays and incubates 4 eggs every year, so I may try and either loan her out to a breeder

or try and breed from her myself.

ive gave her light recall work, a hare did get get up the other day and she gave chase, (happens when you don't want but never when you do!) she seems to be using her foot now, felt her grip no probs there so see how she goes tomoz on the rabbits again, if she's struggling again I think i'll get my boy going ealier than expected

• Like 1

That is the advantage of having two hawks.

Usually I feel having 2 hawks is having 1 too many, but usually through a season I'm glad I have another to fly due to some unforeseen accident or mishap.

I flew my male for 5 season straight caught everything that a male can catch in my area, so gave him a season off last year to get this older female going I bought in for breeding, the breeding didn't go to plan so I flew her last season, I don't feel I got her weight right, she nailed rabbits no problem every time but pheasants and hare she would pull off too soon, think I was at her top weight as she would switch off from me at times, this season ive treated her weight different, now she seems more determined to chase and follow it through more and the recall response is better, she was 6 years old when I got her with no history of her back ground other than she lays and rear...........fell for that one didn't I!! but not one for wasting what ive got, im trying to make a hare hawk out of her

• Like 2

That is the advantage of having two hawks.

Usually I feel having 2 hawks is having 1 too many, but usually through a season I'm glad I have another to fly due to some unforeseen accident or mishap.

I flew my male for 5 season straight caught everything that a male can catch in my area, so gave him a season off last year to get this older female going I bought in for breeding, the breeding didn't go to plan so I flew her last season, I don't feel I got her weight right, she nailed rabbits no problem every time but pheasants and hare she would pull off too soon, think I was at her top weight as she would switch off from me at times, this season ive treated her weight different, now she seems more determined to chase and follow it through more and the recall response is better, she was 6 years old when I got her with no history of her back ground other than she lays and rear...........fell for that one didn't I!! but not one for wasting what ive got, im trying to make a hare hawk out of her

My Imprint gos stands for me, lays 4 eggs every April and broods the eggs.

I don't know how well they would transfer that behaviour to a stranger.

You may have more luck with your gos after a season or 2 hunting with her.

I have found that the weight thing with imprints can be quite tricky.

I have seen a few guys fly their hawks far too fat in my opinion.

My own female will hunt rabbit and pheasant up to around 2lb 7, but her best performance is 2lb 5.

I once had her down to 2lb 4 - nothing was safe from her [including the dog...LOL]

The good thing with imprints to me is that the weight range is a lot broader,

but I have learned i just need to dial in the different behaviours and responses I got at at the various weights she flew at.

If her foot was OK and I wanted to catch a hare, she would be right down to 2lb 4.

Edited by david901
  • Like 1

david mine seems to be the same weights I was at and where im at now, she's doing awesome, she took three rabbits today no problem

two were caught on my go pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxQqyEzEWI

I didn't get the first one on cam......doh

the go pro my missus got me for around for around £350 so your 300 would be good, mine is the gopro hero 4 silver, the difference is mine has a screen on the back

Edited by bullet
  • Like 1